Arizona State's Trent Lockett has announced he will transfer to Marquette for his senior season to be closer to his mother, who lives in Minnesota and has been diagnosed with cancer.
Lockett thanked everyone involved in his career at the school through a tweet earlier in the day and said the transfer was the hardest decision he's ever had to make.
I've been a sundevil since 16. I love and appreciate the people and experience at ASU. Saying that, I am excited to finish my last yr at MU!— Trent Lockett (@T_Lockett24) May 5, 2012
"Words can't express my gratitude to the program and all it has given me," Lockett said in a statement released by the team. "I am now a proud graduate of ASU."
Lockett, the team's leading scorer last season, has already earned a bachelor's degree in business communication from Arizona State.
He said that while his decision is based on his mother's health, he also wanted to make a good basketball decision and Marquette is a great place to end his career.
He was granted a release from his scholarship at Arizona State enabling him to look into transferring closer to home. It was rumored that he had also talked to Iowa State and Gonzaga.
ASU Coach Herb Sendek said he is proud of Lockett for all of his accomplishments, and knows he will always be a Sun Devil at heart.
"We are glad he has found a good place to complete his college career close to home so he can provide support to his mom Judy and know the Sun Devil nation will continue to follow his career," Sendek said.
- New-look Arizona State Sun Devils will rely on defense in 2014-15
- Arizona State finalizes 2014-15 basketball schedule
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson scores 23 points in first preseason game in Australia
- ASU A.D.: Extending Herb Sendek's contract the right decision
- AP source: ASU extends both basketball coaches
- Rick Neuheisel - Pac-12 Network Analyst - Friday October 17Rick Neuheisel believes it could be a rough weekend for the Sun Devils against Stanford.
- Todd Graham, ASU Head Football Coach - Friday October 17ASU football head coach Todd Graham says if Taylor Kelly feels he is ready to play he will play.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday October 15ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson discusses the upcoming weekend for ASU Athletics.
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday October 14ESPN college football analyst Mark May says anyone can win the Pac-12 South.
- Jake Plummer, Former ASU & Cardinals Quarterback - Tuesday October 14Jake Plummer discusses what the Sun Devils need to do to beat Stanford.