Updated May 5, 2012 - 3:43 pm
Lockett announces transfer to Marquette
Arizona State's Trent Lockett has announced he will transfer to Marquette for his senior season to be closer to his mother, who lives in Minnesota and has been diagnosed with cancer.
Lockett thanked everyone involved in his career at the school through a tweet earlier in the day and said the transfer was the hardest decision he's ever had to make.
I've been a sundevil since 16. I love and appreciate the people and experience at ASU. Saying that, I am excited to finish my last yr at MU!— Trent Lockett (@T_Lockett24) May 5, 2012
"Words can't express my gratitude to the program and all it has given me," Lockett said in a statement released by the team. "I am now a proud graduate of ASU."
Lockett, the team's leading scorer last season, has already earned a bachelor's degree in business communication from Arizona State.
He said that while his decision is based on his mother's health, he also wanted to make a good basketball decision and Marquette is a great place to end his career.
He was granted a release from his scholarship at Arizona State enabling him to look into transferring closer to home. It was rumored that he had also talked to Iowa State and Gonzaga.
ASU Coach Herb Sendek said he is proud of Lockett for all of his accomplishments, and knows he will always be a Sun Devil at heart.
"We are glad he has found a good place to complete his college career close to home so he can provide support to his mom Judy and know the Sun Devil nation will continue to follow his career," Sendek said.
- Lionel Hollins honored by ASU jersey retirement
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson signs with Australian team
- ASU basketball to face Maryland in CBE Hall of Fame Classic
- Former Sun Devil Kevin Kruger joins NAU men's basketball staff
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commisioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.
- Bill Hancock - College Football Playoff executive director - Wednesday August 27How will the playoff system impact college football?
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Todd Graham, head coach ASU football - Wednesday August 27Arizona State football coach Todd Graham discusses his team's upcoming matchup against Weber State.