Fork Report: Efficient ASU tops Hartford
Jahii Carson scored 20 points and dished out six assists, while true freshman Eric Jacobsen pumped in a career-high 16 points and grabbed six rebounds in the ASU triumph.
The Good - ASU's offense was sharp throughout the ball game. For the game, the Devils shot 56.3% from the field, had 32 points in the paint and committed a season-low 10 turnovers.
Carrick Felix continued his stellar play with his second straight double-double. The senior from Goodyear had 11 points and 11 rebounds -- with seven boards in the final 6:38 of the game.
ASU's defense was pretty solid too, especially in the second half. After Hartford shot 50% in the first half, ASU limited the Hawks to just 29% shooting (9-of-31) after halftime.
The Bad - ASU's free throw shooting was horrendous. The Sun Devils went 11-for-23 from the line in the game, and could have made things a lot easier for themselves had they just converted from the line. Carson and fellow guard Chris Colvin combined to hit just 2-of-9 attempts.
When it was over - With 6:25 to go, ASU junior guard Evan Gordon hit a three-pointer from the left wing to stretch the Sun Devil lead to six at 60-54. Gordon's bucket ignited an 8-0 room that gave ASU some breathing room down the stretch.
He Said It - "I can't talk enough about Carrick. I can't remember coaching a guy, and I know there has been guys who give great effort, but it's hard to think of anybody right now who every possession, offensively and defensively, who has given the kind of effort and energy that Carrick is. I mean, he is laying his heart out. He's fun to watch, he's easy to cheer for. He is giving incredible effort." -- ASU head coach Herb Sendek on senior forward Carrick Felix.
What's next - The Sun Devils continue their home-heavy non-conference schedule Saturday afternoon as the Cal State-Northridge Matadors visit Wells Fargo Arena. Tip-off is scheduled for 12:00 noon.
- ASU basketball to face Maryland in CBE Hall of Fame Classic
- Former Sun Devil Kevin Kruger joins NAU men's basketball staff
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jordan Bachynski to play for Hornets Summer League team
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!