ASU's Sendek: Carrick Felix has had 'brilliant season to date'
Arizona State basketball has gotten off to a tremendous start this season under head coach Herb Sendek. The Devils boast a 13-2 record on the year and are 2-0 in Pac-12 play for just the fourth time in 35 years.
One of the biggest reasons for the Devils' success thus far has been the energetic and consistent play from senior forward Carrick Felix.
Sendek told Arizona Sports 620's Burns & Gambo on Tuesday Felix has become the heart and soul of Sun Devil basketball.
"He's had just a brilliant season to date," Sendek said. "He's just played with so much heart. I mean every second of every possession he just gives everything he has. He's really been fun to watch. He's been great to coach, just has had an exemplary attitude, tremendous leadership."
Felix earned his second Pac-12 Men's Basketball Player of the Week honors on Monday.
"He has literally given everything he has on every possession and it was great to see him recognized again as Pac-12 player of the week," Sendek stated.
The Devils' forward has averaged 15.1 points per game and leads the team with 7.9 rebounds. He has also performed exceptionally well in Pac-12 play, averaging 18.5 points in ASU's Pac-12 games against Utah and Colorado.
But statistics aside, Sendek is equally impressed with Felix's work ethic and how his game has evolved from his junior season.
"Just an incredible output of energy, display of heart and he worked incredibly hard to get ready for his final season and [Felix] has had some real flashes of excellence in the past but now he's just doing it consistently," Sendek said.
Felix has led by example which has bred success for him and the entire team.
"He really undertook the leadership of our team when last season ended," Sendek explained. "He has just been steady and consistent with that role for our basketball team and now that everybody is seeing the kind of success he's having I am sure on some level that makes it even easier and gives him even more credibility. But he hasn't been taking no for an answer for the last many months."
- ASU athletic director hopes to make 'significant improvements' to men's basketball team
- Flat start dooms Sun Devils in loss to Ducks: By the Numbers
- Have the Sun Devils done enough to earn an NCAA Tournament invite?
- In Carson's last home game, Sun Devils rout Bears
- ASU guard Jahii Carson will not return for junior season
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.