Updated Jan 17, 2013 - 9:21 pm
Jahii Carson answers burning question about future at ASU
The Mesa High School product, who sat out last season while becoming academically eligible, is averaging a team-leading 17.1 points and 5.2 assists per game and is one of the biggest reasons for the Sun Devils' turnaround this season.
The Sun Devils head into Saturday's rivalry game with Arizona sporting a 14-3 record -- a four-win improvement over their 2011-12 mark.
These days, when freshmen have success the obvious question on everyone's mind is how long they'll play at the NCAA level before chasing fame and fortune in the National Basketball Association. As one of the top first-year players in the nation, it's something Carson must think about. He answered the question Thursday while chatting with Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620.
"It really just depends on how well I play and how well my stock improves," he said. "In the college situation, your coaches let you know pretty much what your stock is and what GMs are saying.
"But you know, I'm a hometown guy, and I just got here to college and I don't see myself leaving too early."
Currently, NBADraft.net lists nine freshmen among the 60 players it projects to be drafted by NBA teams in June. Carson isn't one of them.
Carson plays with an undeniable swagger on the court, but is also realistic when diagnosing what he needs to better in his game.
"Definitely I need to go left," he said. "I can finish left, I can go left just as good as my right, I just don't feel as comfortable going left as I do going right.
"And I've got to get more comfortable with my mid-range jumpshot. Now deeper in conference, I'm starting to get in there and hit some mid-range shots, but I for sure need to start shooting it more and having confidence that I can make more."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson signs with Australian team
- ASU basketball to face Maryland in CBE Hall of Fame Classic
- Former Sun Devil Kevin Kruger joins NAU men's basketball staff
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!