Updated Jan 31, 2013 - 4:39 pm
Jahii Carson on freshman of the year watch list
Twelve of the nation's top first-year players in contention for the national freshman of the year award make up the list, as chosen by the association's board of directors.
Through 20 games, Carson leads all NCAA freshmen in free throws made (91) and free throws attempted (127), is second in minutes per game (36.5), third in assists (5.5) and fourth in scoring with 17.3 PPG. In his past five games Carson has averaged 19 points per game with 5.6 assists.
Carson's 36.5 minutes per game top the Pac-12 and are on pace to set a freshman record at ASU. Only Harvard freshman Siyani Chambers is averaging more with 37.7 minutes per game.
The award's recipient will be honored on April 15 at the Devon Energy College Basketball Awards in Oklahoma City along with the winners of The Oscar Robertson Trophy and the Henry Iba Coach of the year Award at the annual gala held the Monday following the NCAA Men's Final Four.
The other 11 players in contention for the award are: Kyle Anderson, UCLA; Isaiah Austin, Baylor; Anthony Bennett, UNLV; Yogi Ferrell, Indiana; Ben McLemore, Kansas; Shabazz Muhammad, UCLA; Nerlens Noel, Kentucky; Glenn Robinson III, Michigan; Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State; and Nik Stauskas, Michigan.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.