Updated Jan 31, 2013 - 4:39 pm
Jahii Carson on freshman of the year watch list
Twelve of the nation's top first-year players in contention for the national freshman of the year award make up the list, as chosen by the association's board of directors.
Through 20 games, Carson leads all NCAA freshmen in free throws made (91) and free throws attempted (127), is second in minutes per game (36.5), third in assists (5.5) and fourth in scoring with 17.3 PPG. In his past five games Carson has averaged 19 points per game with 5.6 assists.
Carson's 36.5 minutes per game top the Pac-12 and are on pace to set a freshman record at ASU. Only Harvard freshman Siyani Chambers is averaging more with 37.7 minutes per game.
The award's recipient will be honored on April 15 at the Devon Energy College Basketball Awards in Oklahoma City along with the winners of The Oscar Robertson Trophy and the Henry Iba Coach of the year Award at the annual gala held the Monday following the NCAA Men's Final Four.
The other 11 players in contention for the award are: Kyle Anderson, UCLA; Isaiah Austin, Baylor; Anthony Bennett, UNLV; Yogi Ferrell, Indiana; Ben McLemore, Kansas; Shabazz Muhammad, UCLA; Nerlens Noel, Kentucky; Glenn Robinson III, Michigan; Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State; and Nik Stauskas, Michigan.
- Shaquielle McKissic wins appeal, will return to ASU for another year
- ASU head coach Herb Sendek: Team will play 'more difficult' schedule in 2014-15
- ASU's Jahii Carson officially headed to NBA Draft
- Arizona State vs. Texas ranked as one of the top 2014 NCAA Tournament games
- Report: Arizona State assistant Eric Musselman resigns
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday April 2Ray Anderson discusses ASU spring sports.