Updated Feb 12, 2013 - 4:46 pm
Sendek perplexed by ASU's poor free throw shooting
By definition, they're easy points. But they've been anything but easy for the Arizona State Sun Devils.
Herb Sendek's team is connecting on just 62.1 percent of its free throw attempts this year and have left 191 points at the stripe.
"Free throw shooting is a really important part of the game, and honestly it's something that we've done really poorly -- I wish I had an easy answer for it," Sendek told Burns and Gambo Tuesday on Arizona Sports 620. "It certainly makes it more difficult."
The Devils rank dead last in the Pac-12 in free throw shooting and 329th in the nation -- out of 345 Division I teams.
Their lack of prowess at the line has been especially painful in their last two losses. In a four-point defeat at Washington February 2, ASU hit just 6-of-12 attempts. Last Saturday in a three-point loss against Stanford in Tempe, the Sun Devils shot just 50 percent again, hitting 8-of-16.
Sendek channeled his inner-football coach to further explain.
"It would be like driving the length of the field and getting to the other team's 20, not cashing in for a touchdown and missing the field goal, too. It's tough. Or if you score a touchdown and only get six because you shank the extra point, it makes it hard.
"When you're playing against good competition, those points are just invaluable -- that's why they're always saying put points on the board when you can."
Maybe some Sun Devils should take Sendek's football analogy to heart and try to kick the ball in from the free throw line. For instance, Chris Colvin's Pac-12 free throw percentage of 18.8 can't get much worse, right?
I kid, I kid.
For comparison's sake, last year's team that posted a dismal 10-21 record shot 67.7 percent on free throw attempts -- good for sixth in the conference.
The Sun Devils (18-6, 7-4) travel to Utah Wednesday night and Colorado Saturday on a crucial Pac-12 road trip.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Lionel Hollins honored by ASU jersey retirement
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson signs with Australian team
- ASU basketball to face Maryland in CBE Hall of Fame Classic
- Former Sun Devil Kevin Kruger joins NAU men's basketball staff
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.