Updated Mar 5, 2013 - 4:47 pm
ASU's Sendek says team has fought hard in many close games
ASU head coach Herb Sendek told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo he feels, despite some tough losses, his team fought hard all season in hopes of getting invited to the dance.
"As much as you watch other teams around the country, the only destiny you do control is your own, and that comes down to winning enough games to put yourself in a position to be selected," he said. "The more games you win the stronger your case is. We always felt like if we win enough games we'll be deserving of a bid."
Four of the Sun Devils' last six losses have been by five points of less, and most recently they lost to USC by one point Saturday afternoon.
"With the exception of the UA game at home, every single conference loss we've had has come down to the last or maybe, at worst, the second to last possession," Sendek said. "It's been incredibly competitive and close, any number of those games could have gone our way.
"Literally coming down to the last possession, going into overtime, the next to last possession, it can't get much closer."
ASU's struggles in close games may be attributed to poor free throw shooting, which has been an issue for the duration of the season.
The Sun Devils are shooting 62 percent from the free throw line, which is a mark that ranks last in the conference.
"The one thing that stands out more than anything, when you look at the number of close games that we've played, is our free throw shooting," he said. "It's just really hard to look past those numbers when you see the close margins in these games."
- Former Sun Devil Kevin Kruger joins NAU men's basketball staff
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jordan Bachynski to play for Hornets Summer League team
- Jahii Carson, Jermaine Marshall to play for Rockets Summer League team in Orlando
- Tracy Smith, ASU Baseball Head Coach - Thursday July 31ASU baseball’s new head coach Tracy Smith talks about taking over the program.
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Thursday July 31Head coach Todd Graham talks about the upcoming season of ASU football.
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.