Updated Mar 5, 2013 - 4:47 pm
ASU's Sendek says team has fought hard in many close games
ASU head coach Herb Sendek told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo he feels, despite some tough losses, his team fought hard all season in hopes of getting invited to the dance.
"As much as you watch other teams around the country, the only destiny you do control is your own, and that comes down to winning enough games to put yourself in a position to be selected," he said. "The more games you win the stronger your case is. We always felt like if we win enough games we'll be deserving of a bid."
Four of the Sun Devils' last six losses have been by five points of less, and most recently they lost to USC by one point Saturday afternoon.
"With the exception of the UA game at home, every single conference loss we've had has come down to the last or maybe, at worst, the second to last possession," Sendek said. "It's been incredibly competitive and close, any number of those games could have gone our way.
"Literally coming down to the last possession, going into overtime, the next to last possession, it can't get much closer."
ASU's struggles in close games may be attributed to poor free throw shooting, which has been an issue for the duration of the season.
The Sun Devils are shooting 62 percent from the free throw line, which is a mark that ranks last in the conference.
"The one thing that stands out more than anything, when you look at the number of close games that we've played, is our free throw shooting," he said. "It's just really hard to look past those numbers when you see the close margins in these games."
- ASU athletic director hopes to make 'significant improvements' to men's basketball team
- Flat start dooms Sun Devils in loss to Ducks: By the Numbers
- Have the Sun Devils done enough to earn an NCAA Tournament invite?
- In Carson's last home game, Sun Devils rout Bears
- ASU guard Jahii Carson will not return for junior season
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.