He has not taken the Sun Devils to the NCAA Tournament since 2009, but appeared close this past season. Given the team's progress, ASU athletic director Steve Patterson told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf he believes the coach has the program heading in the right direction.
"I think Herb had a good year, he did a great job getting out in the community telling his story," Patterson said. "Jahii (Carson) got to play this year, had a lot of success."
The Sun Devils won 22 games this season and finished 9-9 in the Pac-12. The team faded a bit after a fast start, finishing tied for sixth in the conference and earning a spot in the NIT.
But after a season in which the team won just 10 games, Patterson views the program in a positive light and believes better times are on the way.
"We've got a program that develops good, young players," Patterson said. "We won 22 ball games this year, I think it's the third-most in the last 30 years or something that the program's had, so I think we're on an upswing.
"I feel good about the crowds, the students got into it as the season went on. We had a lot of fun."
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.