Updated Apr 10, 2013 - 8:25 am
Jahii Carson announces he'll return to ASU for sophomore season
The ASU point guard announced that he'll officially be returning to Tempe for his sophomore season in 2013-14.
"At this time it is in my best interest to continue my career at Arizona State," Carson said in a press release. "ASU has been very good to me and I enjoy my teammates and coaching staff, and that was a big part of my decision. The option to try the NBA was there, but all my energy is now invested in being the best Sun Devil I can be and lead our team to a great season."
The co-Pac-12 Freshman of the Year led the Sun Devils in points (18.5), assists (5.1) and minutes (37.2) during his freshman campaign. With Carson at the helm, ASU went 22-13 (9-9 in Pac-12 play) this past season.
While the Sun Devils recorded an impressive 12-win turnaround in 2012-13, having Carson back for a second season will be important for Herb Sendek and Co. because the Sun Devils have notable holes to fill following the departures of Carrick Felix, Chris Colvin and Ruslan Pateev.
"Jahii is a special player and a special person," Sendek said. "He was excellent in everything he did and is not only fun to watch, but a joy to coach, and we look forward to continue working with him in 2013-14."
In addition to Carson's return, ASU is also expected to add freshmen Chance Murray (No. 69-ranked shooting guard by ESPN.com) and Egor Koulechov (No. 69-ranked small forward by ESPN.com) next season.
- Lionel Hollins honored by ASU jersey retirement
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson signs with Australian team
- ASU basketball to face Maryland in CBE Hall of Fame Classic
- Former Sun Devil Kevin Kruger joins NAU men's basketball staff
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.