Carrick Felix: Opportunity with Cleveland Cavaliers is 'good'
Yes, he looks exhausted, but he's wearing a white, Nike T-Shirt with "SUN DEVIL BASKETBALL" splashed across the chest.
"It's all the gear I have right now," he said, laughing.
That will likely change, especially if the former Sun Devil continues to produce as he has through the Cavaliers' first three Summer League games.
Felix scored 14 points in a game one win over the Lakers, and then grabbed a game-high 11 rebounds in a game two victory over Memphis.
Overall, he is fourth on the team in scoring (8.3 points) and second in rebounding (6.7) while averaging 25 minutes a game.
The Cavaliers made the 6-foot-6 Felix, who led the Pac-12 last season with 13 double-doubles, the third pick of the second round, 33rd overall.
"Very surprised," he said when he heard his name called on draft night. "I didn't know I was going to get drafted that high, but I was ready for it. I was humbled about it and just excited to get going.
"I think my opportunity here is good. I just think I've just got to play within myself, just don't get out of being Carrick Felix. The biggest thing is defense. With Mike Brown coming over and bringing a defensive mentality and obviously that's something I've been doing for a long time. It just allows me just to, like I said, be myself."
Felix, who turns 23 next month, is quite the story: A local kid (Goodyear Millennium High School) who played at the junior college level (College of Southern Idaho), became Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski's first-ever JC signee, but ultimately landed back in the Valley at Arizona State.
"It's been a grind, man. That's it. That's all I can say. It's been a grind," Felix said. "I've just got to keep working. I've just worked so hard to get to this spot, so I just got to keep working at it to stay here. Words can't describe it. I'm blessed. I thank God. I thank my family. (The NBA) is a terrific opportunity."
Along with head coach Herb Sendek, Felix credits ASU assistants Larry Greer and Eric Musselman -- a pair of former NBA coaches -- for molding him as a person and developing his game for this very moment.
"It definitely helped me a lot," Felix said. "With those guys you'll be able to learn anything at the college level just to prepare yourself for the NBA level. It's helped me transition well."
Still though, it's taking some time for him to get used to the fact that when he's not wearing a Sun Devil basketball T-shirt, he's wearing a No. 30 Cavaliers uniform.
"I don't think it's hit me," said Felix, who plans to visit ASU after summer league. "I'm still out here working, still staying humble and still knowing that I've got to earn it. I got to earn it. That's the biggest thing with me right now.
"I think I'll realize in a couple of months as the season goes on or maybe even a year later, but right now, no."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jordan Bachynski to play for Hornets Summer League team
- Jahii Carson, Jermaine Marshall to play for Rockets Summer League team in Orlando
- ASU's Sendek listed among coaches on the 'hot seat' in 2014-15
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.