Updated Oct 25, 2013 - 6:45 pm
College basketball analyst: Sun Devils are 'a legitimate sleeper'
In what looks to be a potential breakout year for the Pac-12, Arizona State seems ready to take a seat at the table. Picked seventh in the conference's preseason poll (and anywhere from third to eighth among CBSSports.com's experts), the Sun Devils look like a legitimate sleeper flying under-the-radar.
Rothstein said that Carson, center Jordan Bachynski and forward Jonathan Gilling will give ASU a strong veteran presence for ASU, while the addition of guard Jermaine Marshall is an upgrade over transferred Evan Gordon.
The 6-4 gunner made 59 three-point shots last season for the Nittany Lions and will be eligible to play immediately after graduating in August. Marshall averaged 15.3 points per game last year in State College and his ability to extend defenses should complement Carson's penetration ability.
Rothstein also agreed with the thought that Carson will benefit greatly from the new defensive rules that limit contact on the perimeter. Additionally, he said head coach Herb Sendeck has adjusted the team's style of play to fit their point guard.
Thanks to Carson's ability to get out in transition, Sendek has undergone a bit of a career transformation. Known as a slow and methodical coach during his time at NC State as well as his early years in Tempe, Sendek has adapted to his personnel and emphasized a more high octane approach.Last year, the Sun Devils finished 22-13 and lost in the second round of the NIT. Carson has already said this will be his last year before entering the NBA, and according to Rothstein, his only focus right now is for ASU to make the NCAA Tournament this season.
An increased commitment to conditioning has Arizona State ready to accelerate the pace each time it takes the floor. The Sun Devils are currently working out twice per day as a team, doing skill work in the morning followed by practice later in the day.
- ASU athletic director hopes to make 'significant improvements' to men's basketball team
- Flat start dooms Sun Devils in loss to Ducks: By the Numbers
- Have the Sun Devils done enough to earn an NCAA Tournament invite?
- In Carson's last home game, Sun Devils rout Bears
- ASU guard Jahii Carson will not return for junior season
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.
- Rick Neuheisel, Pac-12 football analyst - Wednesday March 5Why is the drop back quarterback losing steam in college football?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- Herb Sendek, ASU basketball coach - Tuesday March 4Herb Sendek talks about the upcoming game against Oregon, and the decision to come home in between r