Stamina helping ASU's Jordan Bachynski continue steep improvement
But he's never played more minutes in a single game than he did Monday night in the Sun Devils' 79-77 win over 25th-ranked Marquette at Wells Fargo Arena.
Bachynski logged a career-high 39 minutes, scoring 14 points, 11 rebounds and seven blocked shots, including one on Marquette guard Derrick Wilson on a potential game-tying shot at the buzzer.
ASU head coach Herb Sendek was effusive in his praise of the senior center from Calgary following the game.
"I've been saying it all year, and maybe at some point, the national media will pick up on it as well -- if there's a more improved player over the span of these last four years, I don't know who it is, but I know Jordan has to be in that conversation," he said.
"Just take it from a conditioning standpoint. At no point previously in career could he ever have played in a game this physical and combative for 39 minutes -- he would need to come out every few minutes," the coach stated. "But he has so improved himself physically through the great help of our world-class sports performance coach Rich Wenner, that he's able to play at high level now for much longer periods of time."
In the Sun Devils' last three wins over UNLV, Bradley and Marquette, Bachynski has played 30 or more minutes. It's only the second time in his college career that he's had such a streak -- he logged 30+ minutes in four straight games last season.
Bachynski isn't exactly a fan of the rigorous conditioning he and his teammates went through in preparation for the season, but sees the benefits now.
"We have never run so much in preseason," he said. "It sucked when it was going on, but I'm grateful we did it because everybody on the court seems like they have more wind.
"Coach Rich knows what he's doing."
The conditioning of Bachynski and the rest of the Sun Devils will be tested this holiday weekend as they head to the Wooden Legacy, an eight-team tournament held in Fullerton, Calif.
ASU will play three games in four days starting Thanksgiving night when they take on All-American Doug McDermott and the 20th-ranked Creighton Bluejays. The field also includes Charleston, George Washington, Marquette, San Diego State, Miami and host Cal-State Fullerton.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jordan Bachynski to play for Hornets Summer League team
- Jahii Carson, Jermaine Marshall to play for Rockets Summer League team in Orlando
- ASU's Sendek listed among coaches on the 'hot seat' in 2014-15
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.