McDermott scores 27 as No. 20 Creighton hands ASU its 1st loss
The Bluejays (5-0) used a 14-2 run to take control of the game early and put away the Sun Devils with 3-point shooting in the second half.
Arizona State (6-1) shot 39 percent from the field and went a woeful 7 of 18 at the free throw line.
Jahii Carson led the Sun Devils with 15 points. Jermaine Marshall and Richie Edwards scored 12 apiece.
Creighton will play San Diego State in the second round of the eight-team tournament. ASU faces the College of Charleston.
McDermott, selected the Big East player of the week for the second consecutive week, did most of his damage in the first half and had a hard time finding open shots thanks to Arizona State's defense.
The Sun Devils scored the first three points of the game, but McDermott led a 14-2 run that gave the Bluejays the lead for good. McDermott had 12 points through the first 8 minutes but was held to four free throws the rest of the first half. That was partly due to Jonathan Gilling, who spent most of the half shadowing the Bluejays' top scorer.
The Sun Devils were certainly aware of McDermott's ability. He scored 29 points against them when the teams met for the championship of the Las Vegas Invitational last season.
Likewise, the Bluejays knew what the Sun Devils had in Carson, who scored 30 points in that game.
Brooks picked up some of the slack Thursday for Creighton and had 13 points by the break.
Creighton went into halftime with a 45-31 lead and Jahenns Manigat opened the second half with a 3-pointer from the right wing to increase the margin to 17.
Arizona State turned the ball over on its next possession, leading to two free throws by Austin Chatman.
Gilling was called for traveling, and the turnover resulted in a reverse layup by Chatman. That made it 52-31 just 2 minutes into the second half.
Arizona State responded with a 10-0 run that was helped by a missed 3-pointer by McDermott, and Shaquielle McKissic's steal of McDermott's cross-court pass.
Creighton used an 11-1 spurt to stretch the lead back to 63-42 before Arizona State rattled off seven unanswered points. The Bluejays followed with a 12-2 run to open a 75-51 cushion.
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jordan Bachynski to play for Hornets Summer League team
- Jahii Carson, Jermaine Marshall to play for Rockets Summer League team in Orlando
- ASU's Sendek listed among coaches on the 'hot seat' in 2014-15
- Tracy Smith, ASU Baseball Head Coach - Thursday July 31ASU baseball’s new head coach Tracy Smith talks about taking over the program.
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Thursday July 31Head coach Todd Graham talks about the upcoming season of ASU football.
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.