Arizona State's 87-72 loss to UCLA: By the numbers
The Sun Devils' search proved to be fruitless, however, as the Bruins mounted a game-changing run in the first half en route to a comfortable 87-72 win Sunday night.
Here's a look back at ASU's 15-point loss by the numbers:
With his two shot blocks against UCLA, ASU center Jordan Bachynski moved past Channing Frye and into sole possession of second place on the Pac-12's all-time career blocks list (259).
Of ASU's four losses in 2013-14, three have come in Southern California. The first two against Creighton and Miami in the Wooden Classic and Sunday against UCLA.
Junior forward Brandon Kearney had his finest night as a Sun Devil off the bench. The Michigan State transfer played a season-high 21 minutes and scored seven points, including two makes from distance.
In the loss, sophomore guard Jahii Carson had one of his worst shooting nights of the season, connecting on just four his 17 attempts (23.5 percent) from the field. Carson also had just two assists to go along with four turnovers.
If there was a positive that came from the 15-point defeat, it was the play at the offensive end of transfer Jermaine Marshall. The senior eclipsed his season average with a game-high 25 points, connecting on 5-of-8 from three-point range.
After taking a 12-6 advantage into the first media timeout, things fell apart for ASU and in a hurry. In the eight minutes that followed the timeout, UCLA reeled off a 29-6 run and was never really threatened the rest of the contest. During the run, Zach LaVine scored 13 of his team-high 19 points.
ASU came into the Pac-12 showdown allowing opponents to grab 37.4 boards per game. Sunday, UCLA dominated the glass with 42 rebounds, including 13 by guard Kyle Anderson.
The Sun Devils allowed a season-high 50 points to UCLA in the first half Sunday.
Sunday's loss guaranteed another season in which ASU failed to sweep the road series in Los Angeles. In fact, the Sun Devils haven't beaten UCLA and USC consecutively on the road since 1987. Their last road sweep in the Pac-12 came during the 2009-10 campaign.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ASU head coach Herb Sendek: Team will play 'more difficult' schedule in 2014-15
- ASU's Jahii Carson officially headed to NBA Draft
- Arizona State vs. Texas ranked as one of the top 2014 NCAA Tournament games
- Report: Arizona State assistant Eric Musselman resigns
- Report: ASU's Musselman a 'legitimate candidate' for South Florida job
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday April 2Ray Anderson discusses ASU spring sports.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday March 27Ray Anderson looks back on the Sun Devil men's basketball season.