Arizona State's 87-72 loss to UCLA: By the numbers
The Sun Devils' search proved to be fruitless, however, as the Bruins mounted a game-changing run in the first half en route to a comfortable 87-72 win Sunday night.
Here's a look back at ASU's 15-point loss by the numbers:
With his two shot blocks against UCLA, ASU center Jordan Bachynski moved past Channing Frye and into sole possession of second place on the Pac-12's all-time career blocks list (259).
Of ASU's four losses in 2013-14, three have come in Southern California. The first two against Creighton and Miami in the Wooden Classic and Sunday against UCLA.
Junior forward Brandon Kearney had his finest night as a Sun Devil off the bench. The Michigan State transfer played a season-high 21 minutes and scored seven points, including two makes from distance.
In the loss, sophomore guard Jahii Carson had one of his worst shooting nights of the season, connecting on just four his 17 attempts (23.5 percent) from the field. Carson also had just two assists to go along with four turnovers.
If there was a positive that came from the 15-point defeat, it was the play at the offensive end of transfer Jermaine Marshall. The senior eclipsed his season average with a game-high 25 points, connecting on 5-of-8 from three-point range.
After taking a 12-6 advantage into the first media timeout, things fell apart for ASU and in a hurry. In the eight minutes that followed the timeout, UCLA reeled off a 29-6 run and was never really threatened the rest of the contest. During the run, Zach LaVine scored 13 of his team-high 19 points.
ASU came into the Pac-12 showdown allowing opponents to grab 37.4 boards per game. Sunday, UCLA dominated the glass with 42 rebounds, including 13 by guard Kyle Anderson.
The Sun Devils allowed a season-high 50 points to UCLA in the first half Sunday.
Sunday's loss guaranteed another season in which ASU failed to sweep the road series in Los Angeles. In fact, the Sun Devils haven't beaten UCLA and USC consecutively on the road since 1987. Their last road sweep in the Pac-12 came during the 2009-10 campaign.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Lionel Hollins honored by ASU jersey retirement
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson signs with Australian team
- ASU basketball to face Maryland in CBE Hall of Fame Classic
- Former Sun Devil Kevin Kruger joins NAU men's basketball staff
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.