Arizona State's 87-72 loss to UCLA: By the numbers
The Sun Devils' search proved to be fruitless, however, as the Bruins mounted a game-changing run in the first half en route to a comfortable 87-72 win Sunday night.
Here's a look back at ASU's 15-point loss by the numbers:
With his two shot blocks against UCLA, ASU center Jordan Bachynski moved past Channing Frye and into sole possession of second place on the Pac-12's all-time career blocks list (259).
Of ASU's four losses in 2013-14, three have come in Southern California. The first two against Creighton and Miami in the Wooden Classic and Sunday against UCLA.
Junior forward Brandon Kearney had his finest night as a Sun Devil off the bench. The Michigan State transfer played a season-high 21 minutes and scored seven points, including two makes from distance.
In the loss, sophomore guard Jahii Carson had one of his worst shooting nights of the season, connecting on just four his 17 attempts (23.5 percent) from the field. Carson also had just two assists to go along with four turnovers.
If there was a positive that came from the 15-point defeat, it was the play at the offensive end of transfer Jermaine Marshall. The senior eclipsed his season average with a game-high 25 points, connecting on 5-of-8 from three-point range.
After taking a 12-6 advantage into the first media timeout, things fell apart for ASU and in a hurry. In the eight minutes that followed the timeout, UCLA reeled off a 29-6 run and was never really threatened the rest of the contest. During the run, Zach LaVine scored 13 of his team-high 19 points.
ASU came into the Pac-12 showdown allowing opponents to grab 37.4 boards per game. Sunday, UCLA dominated the glass with 42 rebounds, including 13 by guard Kyle Anderson.
The Sun Devils allowed a season-high 50 points to UCLA in the first half Sunday.
Sunday's loss guaranteed another season in which ASU failed to sweep the road series in Los Angeles. In fact, the Sun Devils haven't beaten UCLA and USC consecutively on the road since 1987. Their last road sweep in the Pac-12 came during the 2009-10 campaign.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jordan Bachynski to play for Hornets Summer League team
- Jahii Carson, Jermaine Marshall to play for Rockets Summer League team in Orlando
- ASU's Sendek listed among coaches on the 'hot seat' in 2014-15
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.