Updated Jan 13, 2014 - 5:01 pm
Last five games have been tough sledding for ASU's Jahii Carson
Since then, things haven't gone as smoothly for Carson. Case in point, Sunday's loss to UCLA, when the sophomore had just nine points and two assists while committing four turnovers. It's just the second time this season and fourth time in his career that Carson hasn't scored in double figures.
"Let's face it, when our best player has the kind of night he had (Sunday), it's going to be hard for us to beat an outstanding team like (UCLA) on the road," ASU head coach Herb Sendek told Tim Healey and Kyle Dodd on the MidFirst Bank Sun Devil IMG Sports Network following the game. "It just obviously wasn't his night in any way, and we had to try to overcome that, as well."
Maybe for the first time in his collegiate career, Carson has found some tough sledding. In the five games since Texas Tech, Carson is shooting .348 from the floor, is averaging 14.2 points a game. And perhaps most alarmingly, has nine assists against 22 turnovers in that span.
"He sure didn't," Sendek said when Healey quipped 'Jahii just didn't look like Jahii.'
"I mean 4-for-17 with four turnovers, he was in foul trouble from the outset, so that was something we were trying to overcome as well."
Carson, who has intimated that this will be his final season of college ball, is averaging 18.1 points per game -- good for fifth in the conference -- and 4.7 assists per contest, which ranks seventh in the Pac-12.
He and the Sun Devils travel to Tucson to take on the top-ranked Arizona Wildcats (17-0) Thursday at McKale Center.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jordan Bachynski to play for Hornets Summer League team
- Jahii Carson, Jermaine Marshall to play for Rockets Summer League team in Orlando
- ASU's Sendek listed among coaches on the 'hot seat' in 2014-15
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.