ASU center Jordan Bachynski has eyes set on conference record
In the 51 other contests, the 7-foot-2 center tallied 205 blocks, adding to his career total that is now at 266.
He's 12 short of former Arizona Wildcat Anthony Cook, who holds the conference's all-time record for blocked shots.
And it would mean a lot to claim that spot for himself.
"That's huge for me," he told the Burns and Gambo Show Friday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "That's one thing that I feel sets me apart. Just the timing -- not to pat my own back -- but the timing and skill it takes to be a great shot blocker, an elite shot blocker, is something you can't teach."
It is a skill the 23-year-old senior said he worked on out of necessity, as growing up he was tall but skinny and easily pushed around in the post. So, he had to find a new way to be an effective defender.
"I needed to learn a new way to still be a factor on defense and I think that's where it came from, just out of necessity," he said.
Bachynski also noted that he was "blessed with great genes," and his size certainly helps.
"It works," he said.
This season, Bachynski has had nine games with five or more blocked shots, including totals of seven and eight. He also has a team-leading 10 double-doubles, showing he's more than just a shot blocker.
On the season, the Calgary, AB native is averaging 12.1 points and a team-best 9.3 rebounds to go along with his 4.5 blocks per game.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jordan Bachynski to play for Hornets Summer League team
- Jahii Carson, Jermaine Marshall to play for Rockets Summer League team in Orlando
- ASU's Sendek listed among coaches on the 'hot seat' in 2014-15
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.