Arizona State outlasts Oregon State in overtime: By the numbers
Here's a look back at a game that had plenty of highs, lows and a major record sprinkled in between:
ASU improved to 2-0 on the season in overtime affairs, and actually each of its last two wins have come in games that required the extra frame. In their last two seasons, the Sun Devils are 6-1 in overtime games.
With the four-point victory, ASU extended its winning streak to four games against Oregon State. The Sun Devils' last loss to the Beavers came in Dec. 2010.
Senior guard Shaquille McKissic recorded two steals in the overtime win, which extended his streak with at least one steal to a season-high-tying five games.
Senior center Jordan Bachynski set the Pac-12 blocks record Thursday, as his seven swats were enough to pass former Arizona power forward Anthony Cook on the conference's all-time list. Bachynski now sits alone with 279 career blocks.
Sophomore guard Jahii Carson went to the charity stripe a career-high 18 times. Of those 18 attempts, Carson knocked down 13 of them. He finished the night with 23 points -- which marked his third consecutive 20-point performance.
The Sun Devils were led in scoring by senior transfer Jermaine Marshall, who finished with 25 points. But of those 25, 22 came in the second half or overtime. ASU moved to 7-2 this season when Marshall scores 20 points or more.
After limiting the Pac-12's leading scorer early (two points at halftime), ASU struggled to contain OSU's Roberto Nelson late. Nelson's bucket with under 25 seconds to play forced overtime, and he finished with a game-high 26 points
Despite coming into the contest 12th in the nation in three-point percentage (40.4), the Sun Devils struggled from distance, connecting on just 5-of-17 (29.4) from three-point range against the Beavers. On the bright side, Jonathan Gilling connected on a pair of long shots, after going 1-of-11 from downtown during the team's Bay Area trip.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona State vs. Texas ranked as one of the top 2014 NCAA Tournament games
- Report: Arizona State assistant Eric Musselman resigns
- Report: ASU's Musselman a 'legitimate candidate' for South Florida job
- ASU AD Anderson: Good season, now must get better
- ASU coach Sendek: There's positive mojo with the Sun Devils
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday April 2Ray Anderson discusses ASU spring sports.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday March 27Ray Anderson looks back on the Sun Devil men's basketball season.