Updated Feb 10, 2014 - 1:16 pm
Oregon coaches upset over ASU student fan spitting on Ducks in loss
Andrew Greif of the Oregonian reported that Oregon players, coaches and trainers were spit on by ASU students -- which surround the tunnel that visiting teams use to enter and exit the court at Wells Fargo Arena.
As Greif writes:
Oregon basketball staff members declined to press charges against an Arizona State student who spit on both assistant coach Brian Fish and athletic trainer Clay Jamieson after Oregon's 74-72 loss to Arizona State on Saturday at Wells Fargo Arena.
Minutes after the incident, the Ducks were followed to their locker room by two university police officers investigating the spitting, which officers told UO staff members was witnessed by at least two people.
The incident occurred as the Ducks walked from their bench to the locker room up a ramp that is flanked by two sections of students. Both head coach Dana Altman and Fish said it is the only such setup in the Pac-12.
Greif said that Oregon guard Jason Calliste drew the students' ire after pacing near the Ducks' bench in front of the student section after being shaken up on a play at the rim, and later toying with students on his way to the locker room.
Greif also reports that Oregon's assistant director of basketball operations was upset over the lack of security near the team's entrance, and planned on lodging a formal complaint with ASU's event manager.
The Sun Devils next play in Wells Fargo Arena on Friday, when they face their No. 2-ranked rival, the Arizona Wildcats, in a nationally televised matchup.
- ASU lands No. 3 seed in Pac-12 tournament despite loss
- Another slow start hampers Sun Devils in OT loss to Beavers: By the Numbers
- ASU's road comeback vs. OSU falls short in OT
- ASU athletic director hopes to make 'significant improvements' to men's basketball team
- Flat start dooms Sun Devils in loss to Ducks: By the Numbers
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.