ASU struggles offensively, falters late in loss to Colorado: By the numbers
Failing to find much of a rhythm at the offensive end, the Sun Devils came up short against Josh Scott (13 points and 13 rebounds) and the Colorado Buffaloes by a final of 61-52.
Here's a look back at the nine-point loss by the numbers:
Arizona State finished with zero second chance points inside the Coors Events Center. By comparison, Colorado finished with 12.
Jahii Carson was the lone Sun Devil starter to reach double figures in scoring. In fact, the sophomore guard had nearly as many points by himself (19) as the other four starters had combined (19). Fresh off his career-high 29-point performance, senior Jermaine Marshall shot an abysmal 3-of-13 from the field for seven points. Eric Jacobsen played 20 minutes as well and yet failed to record a single point.
Coming into the contest on arguably the best stretch of his collegiate career, Jordan Bachynski failed to duplicate his recent string of performances in his head-to-head battle with Josh Scott. Bachysnki finished with only three rebounds, tied for his fewest in Pac-12 play this season.
With the win, Colorado moved to 5-5 all-time vs. ASU. Additionally, the Buffaloes snapped a three-game losing streak against the Sun Devils dating back to 2012-13.
Herb Sendek's squad only made 17 of its 54 attempts good for a 31.5 percent shooting night. Of those 10, the Sun Devils nearly hit as many three-point shots (7) as two-point field goals.
Scott's double-double was his 11th of the season. He also finished with two blocks and hit five of his six attempts from the charity stripe.
ASU didn't just lose the rebounding battle, it got obliterated on the glass. Colorado ended the game with 21 more rebounds -- 48 to 27 -- than the Sun Devils. The Buffaloes had five players grab at least five boards in the win.
The Sun Devils' 52-point output was their lowest of the season. It's their fewest in a game since Feb. 18, 2012.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ASU basketball to face Maryland in CBE Hall of Fame Classic
- Former Sun Devil Kevin Kruger joins NAU men's basketball staff
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jordan Bachynski to play for Hornets Summer League team
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!
- Mike Norvell, offensive coordinator ASU football - Tuesday August 12How does coach Norvell feel about ASU's offense heading into camp?