Arizona State trounces Stanford in wire-to-wire fashion
With the win, the Sun Devils (20-8, 9-6 Pac-12) move into a four-way tie for third in the Pac-12 with three games to play. California, after its loss earlier Wednesday to No. 3 Arizona, Stanford and Colorado are all 9-6 in conference play.
Jermaine Marshall added 16 points, including 12 during a key 10-minute stretch of the first half, as Arizona State opened up a 10-point lead and never looked back.
Anthony Brown led Stanford (18-9, 9-6) with 21 points and Chasson Randle made 6 of 9 shots in the first half, but only scored two points in the second half, finishing with 17 points before fouling out with 7:11 left.
The Cardinal never got closer than nine in the second half.
Arizona State bounced back from back-to-back losses after upsetting then-No. 2 Arizona on Feb. 14.
The Cardinal, which came into the game committing the second-fewest turnovers in the conference, turned the ball over on its first three possessions, allowing the Sun Devils to score on each to take an 8-0 lead. Stanford ended up with 10 first-half turnovers that led to 17 Arizona State points. Stanford finished with 15 turnovers.
Stanford missed 11 of its first 15 shots and trailed 34-19 with 3:17 left. Arizona State led 39-29 at the break. The Sun Devils made 10 of 18 from beyond the arc.
The Cardinal came into the game having won three straight, including a win over then-No. 25 UCLA on Saturday. Stanford also had won five of six before Wednesday.
In the first half, Josh Huestis blocked three shots, including two against Jordan Bachynski, who is seven inches taller at 7-foot-2. Bachynski, the nation's leading shot-blocker, did not have a block in the first half after picking up two fouls in the first 10 minutes.
Stanford beat Arizona State 76-70 on Feb. 1 at home.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Tuesday April 22Ray Anderson discusses Pat Tillman's legacy at ASU.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.