Arizona State guard Jahii Carson was given two opportunities on Wednesday to put to rest any speculation of him returning to Tempe for his junior season. He declined to do so.
He wasn't ready, they said. He needed to work on his defense, on and on.
But, following a modest nine-point, four-assist effort Saturday on Senior Day at Wells-Fargo Arena, the sophomore quelled the rumors. Carson had played his last game in Tempe -- a 78-60 ASU win over Cal -- he told the assembled media.
"For the most part," Carson answered, briefly -- and somewhat vaguely -- when he was directly asked after the game whether he had played his last game as a Sun Devil.
ASU coach Herb Sendek was far more clear.
"He's not coming back," he said after the game. "I know there was some rumblings after the last game."
But Sendek minced no words.
"We can count on him trying to go to the NBA next year," he went on.
With two Pac-12 games remaining on ASU's 2013-14 schedule, Carson has tallied 1,171 points in his two-year career in Tempe. In that span, he also has 305 assists. To date, he has a shooting percentage of 45.6. He is a career 73 percent free-throw shooter.
"He had a terrific two years with us," Sendek said.
- Arizona State finalizes 2014-15 basketball schedule
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson scores 23 points in first preseason game in Australia
- ASU A.D.: Extending Herb Sendek's contract the right decision
- AP source: ASU extends both basketball coaches
- Report: ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek gets contract extension
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday September 30ESPN college football analyst Mark May says the wheels could come off for ASU in a hurry.
- Rocky Harris - ASU Senior Associate Athletic Director - Wednesday September 24Arizona State Senior Associate Athletic Direct Rocky Harris expects a sellout when the Sun Devils fa
- Chris Foster - Los Angeles Times - Wednesday September 24Los Angeles Times reporter Chris Foster gives the UCLA perspective on Thursday night's game.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Wednesday September 24AZCentral sports reporter Doug Haller previews Arizona State's matchup with UCLA.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday September 24Dan discusses the newly found connection between the Arizona Cardinals and the Arizona State Sun Dev