Updated Mar 12, 2014 - 9:54 am
ASU's Jahii Carson is more than lucky in Las Vegas
Unlike most people who venture to Sin City, Carson has come up a big winner.
The Mesa High product has four career games of 30 or more points -- three have them have occurred in Vegas. Of course, this bodes well for Carson and the Sun Devils as they're about to participate in the 2014 Pac-12 Tournament at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
The Sun Devils, the number-three seed, will play either Stanford or Washington State in their first game Thursday night.
Carson scored 19 points in an 83-68 win over Arkansas in the Las Vegas Invitational at Orleans Arena in November of 2012. But he was just getting started.
In a loss to 14th-ranked Creighton the next night, Carson poured in a then-career-high 30 points while dishing out seven assists in an 87-73 loss.
Four months later, Carson and the Devils would return to Vegas, and the freshman picked up right where he left off. He scored five of his 34 points in overtime, helping ASU to an 89-88 first-round win over Stanford in the first round of the Pac-12 Tournament. It was the highest scoring game ever by a freshman in the tournament's history.
The next day, Carson pumped in 21 points while adding six rebounds and seven assists, but ASU fell short in their upset bid against top-seeded UCLA, 80-75.
This season, Carson has played just one game in Vegas -- November 19 against UNLV at Thomas & Mack Center -- and it was a performance for the ages.
The 5-foot-10 guard hit 16-of-25 shots in a 40-point explosion that led to an 86-80 win over the homestanding Rebels.
In his five games in Las Vegas, Carson has hit 60 percent (53-of-89) of his shots, 58 percent of his three-pointers and 79 percent of free throws while averaging 28.8 points, four rebounds and 5.4 assists.
The third-seeded Sun Devils are hoping that Carson has more than a few lucky rolls of the dice left.
2014 Pac-12 Men's Basketball Tournament
Wednesday, March 12
Game 1 - #8 Utah Utes vs. #9 Washington Huskies - 12:06 p.m. PT (Pac-12 Network)
Game 2 - #5 Colorado Buffaloes vs. #12 USC Trojans - 2:36 p.m. PT (Pac-12 Network)
Game 3 - #7 Oregon Ducks vs. #10 Oregon State Beavers - 6:06 p.m. PT (Pac-12 Network)
Game 4 - #6 Stanford Cardinal vs. #11 Washington State Cougars - 8:36 p.m. PT (Pac-12 Network)
Thursday, March 13
Game 5 - Utah/Washington winner vs. #1 Arizona Wildcats - 12:06 p.m. PT (Pac-12 Network)
Game 6 - Colorado/USC winner vs. #4 California Golden Bears - 2:36 p.m. PT (Pac-12 Network)
Game 7 - Oregon/Oregon State winner vs. #2 UCLA Bruins - 6:06 p.m. PT (Pac-12 Network)
Game 8 - Stanford/Washington State winner vs. #3 Arizona State Sun Devils - 8:40 p.m. PT (Fox Sports 1)
Friday, March 14
Game 9 - Semifinal #1 - 6:06 p.m. PT (Pac-12 Network)
Game 10 - Semifinal #2 - 8:40 p.m. PT (Fox Sports 1)
Saturday, March 15
Championship Game - 3:02 p.m. PT (Fox Sports 1)
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson signs with Australian team
- ASU basketball to face Maryland in CBE Hall of Fame Classic
- Former Sun Devil Kevin Kruger joins NAU men's basketball staff
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!