Updated Mar 16, 2014 - 7:30 pm
Arizona State invited to NCAA Tournament, named No. 10 seed in Midwest
The tournament selection committee placed the Sun Devils (21-11, 10-8) at No. 10 in the Midwest region Sunday. ASU is slated to face the No. 7 seed Texas on Thursday, March 20, at 6:40 p.m. MST in Milwaukee, Wis.
Behind sophomore Jahii Carson and seniors Jordan Bachynski and Jermaine Marshall, ASU basketball is having its best campaign in recent memory. The team's season hit a high point when it beat in-state rival Arizona in double overtime in Tempe on Feb. 14. ASU had a 19-6 overall record after that win.
Since that upset victory, the Sun Devils have sputtered to five losses in their last seven games, including a quarterfinals ouster in the Pac-12 Tournament at the hands of Stanford. Despite the rough finish, ASU still ended the regular season with the fifth-best record in the conference.
If Arizona State passes its first test Thursday, the team will face the winner of the No. 2 Michigan and No. 15 Wofford matchup.
The Sweet Sixteen round of the region will be played in Indianapolis.
Herb Sendek was still the program's head coach when the Sun Devils last played in the NCAA's top postseason tournament five years ago, boasting future NBA players in James Harden and Jeff Ayres. As a No. 6 seed, they dismissed the Tempe Owls in their first challenge, but fell to Syracuse in the following round.
ASU was one of two schools from the state to be named to the tourney Sunday. Arizona, which had the Pac-12's best regular season record, was named the No. 1 seed in West region.
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jordan Bachynski to play for Hornets Summer League team
- Jahii Carson, Jermaine Marshall to play for Rockets Summer League team in Orlando
- ASU's Sendek listed among coaches on the 'hot seat' in 2014-15
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.
- Willie Bloomquist, Seattle Mariners infielder & former Sun Devil - Wednesday June 18Is managing in former Sun Devil Willie Bloomquist’s future?