Updated Mar 16, 2014 - 7:30 pm
Arizona State invited to NCAA Tournament, named No. 10 seed in Midwest
The tournament selection committee placed the Sun Devils (21-11, 10-8) at No. 10 in the Midwest region Sunday. ASU is slated to face the No. 7 seed Texas on Thursday, March 20, at 6:40 p.m. MST in Milwaukee, Wis.
Behind sophomore Jahii Carson and seniors Jordan Bachynski and Jermaine Marshall, ASU basketball is having its best campaign in recent memory. The team's season hit a high point when it beat in-state rival Arizona in double overtime in Tempe on Feb. 14. ASU had a 19-6 overall record after that win.
Since that upset victory, the Sun Devils have sputtered to five losses in their last seven games, including a quarterfinals ouster in the Pac-12 Tournament at the hands of Stanford. Despite the rough finish, ASU still ended the regular season with the fifth-best record in the conference.
If Arizona State passes its first test Thursday, the team will face the winner of the No. 2 Michigan and No. 15 Wofford matchup.
The Sweet Sixteen round of the region will be played in Indianapolis.
Herb Sendek was still the program's head coach when the Sun Devils last played in the NCAA's top postseason tournament five years ago, boasting future NBA players in James Harden and Jeff Ayres. As a No. 6 seed, they dismissed the Tempe Owls in their first challenge, but fell to Syracuse in the following round.
ASU was one of two schools from the state to be named to the tourney Sunday. Arizona, which had the Pac-12's best regular season record, was named the No. 1 seed in West region.
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson signs with Australian team
- ASU basketball to face Maryland in CBE Hall of Fame Classic
- Former Sun Devil Kevin Kruger joins NAU men's basketball staff
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!