ASU AD: Herb Sendek is still our guy for 2014
The team has gone 2-5 since then, leaving some ASU fans wondering if changes are going to be made to a team that will look very different next year without key players Jahii Carson, Jermaine Marshall and Jordan Bachysnki.
But Anderson says the disappointing finish to the season hasn't changed the opinion of the eighth-year Sun Devil coach.
"Herb is a good coach and when he was the parts he can put them together and do a really, really good job," Anderson told The Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "What matters right now is that he's our coach for 2014."
Sendek last took ASU to the NCAA Tournament in 2009, where the sixth-seeded Sun Devils beat Temple before falling to third seed Syracuse.
"I'm certainly going to put all the support I can behind him to the extent that we can help better the program, the approach, and the results," Anderson said. "We're going to look for nothing but positives going forward and I'm personally confident that Herb is the guy and he will be the guy for us in 2014."
Anderson, who was named the ASU athletic director in January before officially taking over in February, believes more time is needed to properly evaluate the coaching staff.
"For the folks on the edge who doubt that, we want them to come around and give us their support," Anderson said. "They don't have to agree with us per se, but certainly give Herb, and me as the athletic director, an opportunity for a year together.
"Remember, I just came in a month ago. I think I'd like an opportunity for us to work together for a year going into 2014 and see what kind of progress we can make as a partnership for men's basketball. I'm confident that the next season will show additional progress and we can allay some of the concerns that folks have that we're not as good as we can be. We will be better."
- Former Sun Devil Kevin Kruger joins NAU men's basketball staff
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jordan Bachynski to play for Hornets Summer League team
- Jahii Carson, Jermaine Marshall to play for Rockets Summer League team in Orlando
- Tracy Smith, ASU Baseball Head Coach - Thursday July 31ASU baseball’s new head coach Tracy Smith talks about taking over the program.
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Thursday July 31Head coach Todd Graham talks about the upcoming season of ASU football.
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.