With all but 16 teams eliminated from NCAA Tournament championship contention, rumor winds have started to swirl about coaching changes.
Last week, Wake Forest head coach Jeff Bzdelik resigned following a disappointing four-year stint during which the Demon Deacons went 51-76 overall, a woeful 17-41 (.293) in ACC play and failed to reach the NCAA Tournament.
DeaconsIllustrated.com, a Rivals.com site, has listed potential candidates for the Wake post -- 25 of them, in fact -- and Arizona State's Herb Sendek is listed in the category of "other candidates," along with names like Tennessee's Cuonzo Martin, Syracuse assistant Mike Hopkins, Duke assistant Steve Wojciechowski and Elon head coach Matt Matheny.
Sendek has taken three programs to the NCAA Tournament; Miami (Ohio), NC State and Arizona State, and knows the ACC after 10 seasons as head coach of the Wolfpack.
Sendek just guided the Sun Devils to the NCAA Tournament for the second time in his eight-year tenure. ASU lost to Texas in a second-round game last Thursday to end the season with a 21-12 record.
In 10 years at North Carolina State, the 50-year-old coach posted a 191-132 record and five NCAA Tournament appearances.
The article does list a wide range of coaches, from Wichita State's Gregg Marshall and VCU's Shaka Smart to former UCLA coach Ben Howland and current Dayton head coach Archie Miller, who just received a contract extension that will keep him on the Flyers' bench through the 2018-19 season.
Sendek has received a vote of confidence concerning his job status at Arizona State from new athletic director Ray Anderson last week.
- New-look Arizona State Sun Devils will rely on defense in 2014-15
- Arizona State finalizes 2014-15 basketball schedule
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson scores 23 points in first preseason game in Australia
- ASU A.D.: Extending Herb Sendek's contract the right decision
- AP source: ASU extends both basketball coaches
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday October 21ESPN college football analyst Mark May says Taylor Kelly will be ready to play for ASU.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Tuesday October 21ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson discusses finally beating Stanford.
- Jake Plummer, former ASU and Cardinals quarterback - Tuesday October 21Jake Plummer discusses the Sun Devils' performance against Stanford.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 21Dan discusses ASU head baseball coach Tracy Smith's tweet.
- Mike Bercovici, ASU quarterback - Monday October 20ASU quarterback Mike Bercovici says it was nice to take back the crown and get the win against Stanf