Arizona State associate head coach Eric Musselman has emerged as a serious candidate for the South Florida head coach opening, according to a tweet from CBS Sports' Gary Parrish.
Arizona State assistant Eric Musselman has emerged as a legitimate candidate at South Florida, a source told @CBSSports.— Gary Parrish (@GaryParrishCBS) March 30, 2014
Musselman has been with the Sun Devils for two seasons after joining the staff prior to the start of the 2012-13 campaign. Musselman is responsible for ASU's opponent scouting, on-court player development and recruiting.
Musselman has three seasons of NBA coaching experience, two of which came with the Golden State Warriors from 2002-04 and one of which was with the Sacramento Kings in 2006.
Musselman doesn't have any previous collegiate head coaching experience, and his two seasons with ASU have been his only two of college experience. He was named the NBA D-League's coach of the year in 2012 after leading the Los Angeles D-Fenders to a 38-12 record.
The South Florida job has been open since Stan Heath was let go after his seventh year the the helm. The school reportedly agreed to terms with Manhattan coach Steve Masiello, but then it was revealed he lied about completing and undergraduate degree at Kentucky. ASU complied a 43-25 record in Musselman's two seasons with the program.
- New-look Arizona State Sun Devils will rely on defense in 2014-15
- Arizona State finalizes 2014-15 basketball schedule
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson scores 23 points in first preseason game in Australia
- ASU A.D.: Extending Herb Sendek's contract the right decision
- AP source: ASU extends both basketball coaches
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Tuesday October 21ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson discusses finally beating Stanford.
- Jake Plummer, former ASU and Cardinals quarterback - Tuesday October 21Jake Plummer discusses the Sun Devils' performance against Stanford.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 21Dan discusses ASU head baseball coach Tracy Smith's tweet.
- Mike Bercovici, ASU quarterback - Monday October 20ASU quarterback Mike Bercovici says it was nice to take back the crown and get the win against Stanf
- Rick Neuheisel - Pac-12 Network Analyst - Friday October 17Rick Neuheisel believes it could be a rough weekend for the Sun Devils against Stanford.