Arizona State associate head coach Eric Musselman has emerged as a serious candidate for the South Florida head coach opening, according to a tweet from CBS Sports' Gary Parrish.
Arizona State assistant Eric Musselman has emerged as a legitimate candidate at South Florida, a source told @CBSSports.— Gary Parrish (@GaryParrishCBS) March 30, 2014
Musselman has been with the Sun Devils for two seasons after joining the staff prior to the start of the 2012-13 campaign. Musselman is responsible for ASU's opponent scouting, on-court player development and recruiting.
Musselman has three seasons of NBA coaching experience, two of which came with the Golden State Warriors from 2002-04 and one of which was with the Sacramento Kings in 2006.
Musselman doesn't have any previous collegiate head coaching experience, and his two seasons with ASU have been his only two of college experience. He was named the NBA D-League's coach of the year in 2012 after leading the Los Angeles D-Fenders to a 38-12 record.
The South Florida job has been open since Stan Heath was let go after his seventh year the the helm. The school reportedly agreed to terms with Manhattan coach Steve Masiello, but then it was revealed he lied about completing and undergraduate degree at Kentucky. ASU complied a 43-25 record in Musselman's two seasons with the program.
- Arizona State finalizes 2014-15 basketball schedule
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson scores 23 points in first preseason game in Australia
- ASU A.D.: Extending Herb Sendek's contract the right decision
- AP source: ASU extends both basketball coaches
- Report: ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek gets contract extension
- Ray Anderson, ASU athletic director - Wednesday October 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson discusses the Sun Devils overcoming adversity after their loss to
- Jake Plummer - Former Cardinals and Sun Devil quarterback - Wednesday October 1Former Arizona State and Cardinal quarterback Jake Plummer discusses the latest in college football
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday September 30ESPN college football analyst Mark May says the wheels could come off for ASU in a hurry.
- Rocky Harris - ASU Senior Associate Athletic Director - Wednesday September 24Arizona State Senior Associate Athletic Direct Rocky Harris expects a sellout when the Sun Devils fa
- Chris Foster - Los Angeles Times - Wednesday September 24Los Angeles Times reporter Chris Foster gives the UCLA perspective on Thursday night's game.