While it's anyone's guess as to how the Arizona State men's basketball team will look when it takes the floor in 2014-15 given the departures of Brandon Kearney, Caelen Robinson, Egor Koulechov, Jahii Carson, Jermaine Marshall, Jordan Bachynski and potentially Shaquielle McKissic, the same cannot be said for the upcoming schedule.
At an open forum with local media members Wednesday, head coach Herb Sendek officially unveiled the Sun Devils' non-conference slate for next season, which features a tournament appearance (CBE Classic) and potential matchups with Big Dance teams like Harvard and Iowa State.
"Looking at the selection committee, they seem to put more and more emphasis on who do you play in the non-conference," Sendek said. "So, even though we're going to have to reinvent ourselves a little bit with a number of new players, I think it's essential that we once again play a really tough non-conference schedule.
"If you look at the numbers and RPIs, if you look at the teams we're playing this coming season, our schedule is even more difficult than it was last year."
Also as part of the non-conference schedule, ASU will play at Texas A&M in early December in the first half of a home-and-home to be completed in 2015-16.
In 2013-14, the Sun Devils played only one non-conference game against an eventual NCAA tournament team (Creighton).
List of ASU's non-conference opponents:
at Texas A&M
* Denotes games that will be played as part of the CBE Classic. Contests against Bethune-Cookman and Chicago State are guaranteed and will be played in Tempe. However, ASU will play only two games against Alabama, Iowa State or Maryland as part of the second half of the tournament. Those games will be played in Kansas City.
- New-look Arizona State Sun Devils will rely on defense in 2014-15
- Arizona State finalizes 2014-15 basketball schedule
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson scores 23 points in first preseason game in Australia
- ASU A.D.: Extending Herb Sendek's contract the right decision
- AP source: ASU extends both basketball coaches
- Rick Neuheisel - Pac-12 Network Analyst - Friday October 17Rick Neuheisel believes it could be a rough weekend for the Sun Devils against Stanford.
- Todd Graham, ASU Head Football Coach - Friday October 17ASU football head coach Todd Graham says if Taylor Kelly feels he is ready to play he will play.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday October 15ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson discusses the upcoming weekend for ASU Athletics.
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday October 14ESPN college football analyst Mark May says anyone can win the Pac-12 South.
- Jake Plummer, Former ASU & Cardinals Quarterback - Tuesday October 14Jake Plummer discusses what the Sun Devils need to do to beat Stanford.