Many a critic raised an eyebrow after Arizona State guard Jahii Carson made himself eligible for the 2014 NBA Draft.
The 5-foot-10 point guard had just led ASU to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2009, but there was doubt as to whether Carson would hear his name called at all on draft night.
After a so-so Orlando Summer League stint with the Houston Rockets, Carson has opted to sign with the Wollongong Hawks of Australia's National Basketball League, according to the team's official website.
''The addition of Jahii is a massive coup for the club and instantly transforms the team into a unique excitement-machine with endless possibilities,'' Hawks owner James Spenceley said.
''Jahii brings world-class athleticism to the Hawks and the NBL with his tremendous gifts for soaring and creating spectacular plays that are associated with basketball at the highest level. Simply, he can fly.''
Carson averaged 18.5 points per game in his two seasons in Tempe while leading the Sun Devils to a 43-25 record in that span. He was a two-time All-Pac-12 selection and shared 2012-13 Freshman of the Year honors with Shabazz Muhammad of UCLA.
He isn't the only former Sun Devil to head down under to play pro ball. Forward Shawn Redhage, who played at Arizona State from 1999 to 2003, has played in the NBL since 2004. He is a four-time NBL All-Star and currently plays for the Perth Wildcats.
- New-look Arizona State Sun Devils will rely on defense in 2014-15
- Arizona State finalizes 2014-15 basketball schedule
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson scores 23 points in first preseason game in Australia
- ASU A.D.: Extending Herb Sendek's contract the right decision
- AP source: ASU extends both basketball coaches
- Rick Neuheisel - Pac-12 Network Analyst - Friday October 17Rick Neuheisel believes it could be a rough weekend for the Sun Devils against Stanford.
- Todd Graham, ASU Head Football Coach - Friday October 17ASU football head coach Todd Graham says if Taylor Kelly feels he is ready to play he will play.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday October 15ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson discusses the upcoming weekend for ASU Athletics.
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday October 14ESPN college football analyst Mark May says anyone can win the Pac-12 South.
- Jake Plummer, Former ASU & Cardinals Quarterback - Tuesday October 14Jake Plummer discusses what the Sun Devils need to do to beat Stanford.