AP source: Browns poised to hire Mike Pettine
CLEVELAND (AP) - The Browns are poised to make Buffalo defensive coordinator Mike Pettine their new coach, a person familiar with Cleveland's plans said.
Pettine was expected to visit the club for a third interview Thursday, said the person who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the team is not commenting during its search.
Unless there are unanticipated hang-ups, Pettine will become Cleveland's seventh full-time coach since 1999.
ESPN, citing multiple league sources, said the team is expected to offer Pettine the job.
The Browns have been looking for a coach since firing Rob Chudzinski on Dec. 29. Team officials flew to Mobile, Ala., this week to interview the 47-year-old Pettine, who spent one season with the Bills after four as defensive coordinator of the New York Jets.
Pettine is one of at least 10 known candidates to interview with the Browns, who dismissed Chudzinski hours after the season finale in Pittsburgh. The club had been expected to have a second interview with Seattle defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, who is preparing for the Super Bowl. But things have progressed to the point that the team is focused solely on Pettine.
AP NFL website: http://www.pro32.ap.org
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 1, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals LB John Abraham releases statement on June DUI arrest
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely on proposal to push PATs back: 'There's going to be a lot more injuries'
- Cardinals rookie receiver John Brown doing more than relying on physical talents in training camp
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Brown sits out, Starks adds depth, Abraham will be in camp 'soon'
- Kareem Martin, Arizona Cardinals defensive end - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ defensive end Kareem Martin speaks on his first NFL training camp experience.
- Tony Jefferson, Arizona Cardinals safety - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ safety Tony Jefferson discusses training camp improvements.
- Bob McManaman, azcentral sports writer - Friday August 1azcentral sports writer Bob McManaman joins the show at Cardinals training camp.
- John Brown, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 1Cardinals rookie wide receiver John Brown says he is different from other rookies.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 1Are the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals changing?