Updated May 29, 2014 - 4:13 pm
Report: Former Microsoft CEO to buy Clippers for $2 billion
PHOENIX -- The National Basketball League and Los Angeles Clippers are reportedly one step closer to removing current owner Donald Sterling.
According to the Los Angeles Times, former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer's NBA-record $2 billion bid for the team has been accepted.
Balmer, who was chief executive of Microsoft for 14 years, was chosen over competitors that included Los Angeles-based investors Tony Ressler and Steve Karsh and a group that included David Geffen and executives from the Guggenheim Group, the Chicago-based owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers.
If the sale goes through, it will be nearly four times the highest sale price for an NBA team, set earlier this month when the Milwaukee Bucks were purchased for $550 million.
Sterling has to sign-off on the deal, though he is likely to be pressured by the league to do so. The other 29 NBA owners will also have to grant their approval.
Sterling came under fire earlier this month after several tapes of him making racist comments were released to the press.
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Report: Phoenix Suns reach out to Minnesota Timberwolves about an Eric Bledsoe-Kevin Love trade
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.