FanBall Weekly: 2013 MLB fantasy MVPs
2013 Fantasy MVP's
As the fantasy baseball season winds down, giving way to the almighty fantasy football season, we writers like to take a look back at the year that was. Many players made huge impacts on your teams and they all deserve recognition, especially the guys you had never heard of when the season began. Did YOU have Jean Segura as your opening day SS? Neither did I, but it sure paid off, didn't it?
The list below isn't very subjective; it's based strictly on whether or not a player outperformed his expectations. We all knew Miguel Cabrera was going to be one of the top players, but I would have laughed in your face and walked away if you told me that Orioles 1B Chris Davis would get within reach of Roger Maris' home run record* of 61.
These guys are the All-Value team for 2013. Hopefully you have some of them on your roster, and if you're in a keeper league you should definitely consider hanging on to them for next year.
C: Jason Castro - HOU: Because he's on the Astros he was passed over consistently in drafts but made a name for himself putting up a .278 batting average with 18 homers. Consistent catchers are hard to come by so if he's a free agent in your league he's worth picking up to use as a keeper. Honorable Mentions: Mike Napoli (BOS) and Wilin Rosario (COL)
1B: Chris Davis - BAL: What an incredible season from Crush Davis. He went from late-round flier to first round lock in 2014. He's challenging Cabrera for the triple crown and is a fearsome foe for all starting pitchers. If Baltimore keeps the band together, he'll be leading them to the playoffs again. Honorable Mentions: Daniel Murphy (NYM) and Brandon Moss (OAK)
2B: Matt Carpenter - StL: Well known as a prospect, Carpenter proved himself an All-Star during 2013, hitting .317 and out scoring all 2B's by more than 20 runs. His eligibility at 1B, 3B and OF as well give him the highest value out of any fantasy player of 2013. Honorable Mention: Brian Dozier (MIN)
3B: Josh Donaldson - OAK: After making a full-time switch from catcher to third, Donaldson became the power staple in the A's lineup, hitting .296 and smashing 21 homers with over 80 RBI's. Honorable Mentions: Manny Machado (BAL) and Kyle Seager (SEA)
SS: Jean Segura - MIL: Despite a shakier second half, Segura remains the top-ranked shortstop in fantasy with is 40 SB's and 73 runs. Segura should be an All-Star for many years to come and should absolutely be hung onto in keeper and dynasty leagues. Honorable Mention: Alexi Ramirez (CWS) and Everth Cabrera (SD). Despite the suspension, Cabrera had a standout year and absolutely deserved his All-Star appearance.
OF: Alfonso Soriano - CHC/NYY: After living through seasons of ridicule and pundits saying he isn't what he used to be, Soriano came back with a strong 2013 campaign after a quietly successful 2012. The secret it out though, Soriano has hit his career second-wind. Honorable Mentions: Michael Cuddyer (COL), Marlon Byrd (NYM/PIT), Domonic Brown (PHI) and Will Venable (SD)
SP: Jose Fernandez - FLA: I'm still kicking myself for dropping him after an early string of poor starts. The kid has almost zero competition for the NL Rookie of the Year and will be a staple of the Marlins rotation until they trade him away and disappoint their fanbase once again. His 2.33 ERA is better than every qualifying starter except Clayton Kershaw. Honorable Mentions: Matt Harvey (NYM), Hisashi Iwakuma (SEA), Patrick Corbin (ARI) and Francisco Liriano (PIT)
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Diamondbacks upend Rockies in series opener: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.