FanBall Weekly: 2013 MLB fantasy MVPs
2013 Fantasy MVP's
As the fantasy baseball season winds down, giving way to the almighty fantasy football season, we writers like to take a look back at the year that was. Many players made huge impacts on your teams and they all deserve recognition, especially the guys you had never heard of when the season began. Did YOU have Jean Segura as your opening day SS? Neither did I, but it sure paid off, didn't it?
The list below isn't very subjective; it's based strictly on whether or not a player outperformed his expectations. We all knew Miguel Cabrera was going to be one of the top players, but I would have laughed in your face and walked away if you told me that Orioles 1B Chris Davis would get within reach of Roger Maris' home run record* of 61.
These guys are the All-Value team for 2013. Hopefully you have some of them on your roster, and if you're in a keeper league you should definitely consider hanging on to them for next year.
C: Jason Castro - HOU: Because he's on the Astros he was passed over consistently in drafts but made a name for himself putting up a .278 batting average with 18 homers. Consistent catchers are hard to come by so if he's a free agent in your league he's worth picking up to use as a keeper. Honorable Mentions: Mike Napoli (BOS) and Wilin Rosario (COL)
1B: Chris Davis - BAL: What an incredible season from Crush Davis. He went from late-round flier to first round lock in 2014. He's challenging Cabrera for the triple crown and is a fearsome foe for all starting pitchers. If Baltimore keeps the band together, he'll be leading them to the playoffs again. Honorable Mentions: Daniel Murphy (NYM) and Brandon Moss (OAK)
2B: Matt Carpenter - StL: Well known as a prospect, Carpenter proved himself an All-Star during 2013, hitting .317 and out scoring all 2B's by more than 20 runs. His eligibility at 1B, 3B and OF as well give him the highest value out of any fantasy player of 2013. Honorable Mention: Brian Dozier (MIN)
3B: Josh Donaldson - OAK: After making a full-time switch from catcher to third, Donaldson became the power staple in the A's lineup, hitting .296 and smashing 21 homers with over 80 RBI's. Honorable Mentions: Manny Machado (BAL) and Kyle Seager (SEA)
SS: Jean Segura - MIL: Despite a shakier second half, Segura remains the top-ranked shortstop in fantasy with is 40 SB's and 73 runs. Segura should be an All-Star for many years to come and should absolutely be hung onto in keeper and dynasty leagues. Honorable Mention: Alexi Ramirez (CWS) and Everth Cabrera (SD). Despite the suspension, Cabrera had a standout year and absolutely deserved his All-Star appearance.
OF: Alfonso Soriano - CHC/NYY: After living through seasons of ridicule and pundits saying he isn't what he used to be, Soriano came back with a strong 2013 campaign after a quietly successful 2012. The secret it out though, Soriano has hit his career second-wind. Honorable Mentions: Michael Cuddyer (COL), Marlon Byrd (NYM/PIT), Domonic Brown (PHI) and Will Venable (SD)
SP: Jose Fernandez - FLA: I'm still kicking myself for dropping him after an early string of poor starts. The kid has almost zero competition for the NL Rookie of the Year and will be a staple of the Marlins rotation until they trade him away and disappoint their fanbase once again. His 2.33 ERA is better than every qualifying starter except Clayton Kershaw. Honorable Mentions: Matt Harvey (NYM), Hisashi Iwakuma (SEA), Patrick Corbin (ARI) and Francisco Liriano (PIT)
- Diamondbacks reinstate Cody Ross; designate Ryan Rowland-Smith
- ESPN analyst Kurkjian: Arizona Diamondbacks 'not doing anything right'
- D-backs' Derrick Hall: Losses mounting because players are pressing
- D-backs prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest start
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.