A-Rod jerseys absent from Steinbrenner Field store
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - Alex Rodriguez's jerseys are nowhere to be found at Steinbrenner Field, just like the suspended third baseman.
The Legends Room store at the New York Yankees' spring training home does not have any of Rodriguez's No. 13 jerseys on sale as the team prepares for its exhibition opener next week.
Eight players were represented with white, pinstriped jerseys hanging neatly on rods attached to a wall and available for $139.95 apiece Tuesday. They had the names and numbers of Babe Ruth (3), Mickey Mantle (7), Derek Jeter (2), Ichiro Suzuki (31), Brian McCann (34), Jacoby Ellsbury (22), Carlos Beltran (36) and Masahiro Tanaka (19).
The Yankees said the store manager decides on which jerseys he thinks will be the best sellers, and they said Rodriguez's model had not been available there for several years.
Rodriguez, a three-time AL MVP and baseball's highest-paid player, was suspended for 211 games on Aug. 5 for violations of baseball's drug agreement and labor contract. An arbitrator last month cut the penalty to the 2014 season and postseason.
His spring training locker adjacent to the back door of the clubhouse has been left vacant, storing only white hangers.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.