A-Rod jerseys absent from Steinbrenner Field store
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - Alex Rodriguez's jerseys are nowhere to be found at Steinbrenner Field, just like the suspended third baseman.
The Legends Room store at the New York Yankees' spring training home does not have any of Rodriguez's No. 13 jerseys on sale as the team prepares for its exhibition opener next week.
Eight players were represented with white, pinstriped jerseys hanging neatly on rods attached to a wall and available for $139.95 apiece Tuesday. They had the names and numbers of Babe Ruth (3), Mickey Mantle (7), Derek Jeter (2), Ichiro Suzuki (31), Brian McCann (34), Jacoby Ellsbury (22), Carlos Beltran (36) and Masahiro Tanaka (19).
The Yankees said the store manager decides on which jerseys he thinks will be the best sellers, and they said Rodriguez's model had not been available there for several years.
Rodriguez, a three-time AL MVP and baseball's highest-paid player, was suspended for 211 games on Aug. 5 for violations of baseball's drug agreement and labor contract. An arbitrator last month cut the penalty to the 2014 season and postseason.
His spring training locker adjacent to the back door of the clubhouse has been left vacant, storing only white hangers.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.