Updated Mar 22, 2012 - 8:27 pm
Louisville's Dieng key in Cardinals' Sweet 16 win
More accurately, he had his entire palm print on it.
The 6-foot-11 sophomore from Senegal tied a career-high with 7 blocked shots, including 5 in the second half as Louisville shut down Michigan State 57-44 to advance to the West Regional Final Saturday against the winner of the Florida-Marquette semi.
"He was very disruptive coming in," Michigan State senior Draymond Green said. "We knew he averaged three and a half blocks a game, and we're not going to back down from anyone.
"He pulled off some great blocked shots, and that's what he does, that's his strength."
Dieng's fourth block of the night was probably the most pivotal. Leading by 6 with under 14 minutes to go, Dieng blocked a layup attempt by Green which fueled a transition alley-oop dunk by Peyton Siva. Jared Swopshire then stole the inbounds pass and was fouled before sinking a pair of free throws, stretching the Cardinals' lead to 10.
Dieng did make a mark on offense as well, knocking down his first career three-pointer in the first half.
"I was just wide open and I took the shot," Dieng said. "I was wide open and I took it and it went in."
After Dieng made the shot, he looked over at Pitino on the Louisville bench, and both had smiles from ear-to-ear.
"I tell all the guys: you're open, shoot it," Pitino said. "We're not the best offensive shooting team, but we shot 52 percent in the second half against a great team."
- ASU lands No. 3 seed in Pac-12 tournament despite loss
- Another slow start hampers Sun Devils in OT loss to Beavers: By the Numbers
- ASU's road comeback vs. OSU falls short in OT
- ASU athletic director hopes to make 'significant improvements' to men's basketball team
- Flat start dooms Sun Devils in loss to Ducks: By the Numbers
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.