Updated Apr 5, 2013 - 11:29 am
ASU AD Patterson: 'Working on' bringing Final Four to Phoenix
But one thing the state has yet to see is an NCAA Final Four.
ASU Athletic Director Steve Patterson told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf that he plans to change that.
"You know, we're working on that," Patterson said. "You don't need a trench coat in Phoenix."
Every year, at the Final Four, the NCAA gets together to discuss future locations for the national tournament. Patterson stated Phoenix will definitely be a place he intends to propose.
"There going to be putting together the bids for 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020," Patterson said. "So we want to be in that process and try to bring the Final Four to the Valley of the Sun."
If the Final Four did come to Phoenix, it would likely be played at University of Phoenix Stadium, which was the location of the 2009 regional round.
Since 1975, Arizona has hosted the opening round of the NCAA tournament 16 times, while hosting the regionals seven times with the most recent coming last year at U.S. Airways Center.
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson signs with Australian team
- ASU basketball to face Maryland in CBE Hall of Fame Classic
- Former Sun Devil Kevin Kruger joins NAU men's basketball staff
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!