Arizona has played host to a variety of championship sporting events, from the Super Bowl to the World Series and of course the BCS National Championship.
But one thing the state has yet to see is an NCAA Final Four.
ASU Athletic Director Steve Patterson told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf that he plans to change that.
"You know, we're working on that," Patterson said. "You don't need a trench coat in Phoenix."
Every year, at the Final Four, the NCAA gets together to discuss future locations for the national tournament. Patterson stated Phoenix will definitely be a place he intends to propose.
"There going to be putting together the bids for 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020," Patterson said. "So we want to be in that process and try to bring the Final Four to the Valley of the Sun."
If the Final Four did come to Phoenix, it would likely be played at University of Phoenix Stadium, which was the location of the 2009 regional round.
Since 1975, Arizona has hosted the opening round of the NCAA tournament 16 times, while hosting the regionals seven times with the most recent coming last year at U.S. Airways Center.
- Arizona State finalizes 2014-15 basketball schedule
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson scores 23 points in first preseason game in Australia
- ASU A.D.: Extending Herb Sendek's contract the right decision
- AP source: ASU extends both basketball coaches
- Report: ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek gets contract extension
- Rocky Harris - ASU Senior Associate Athletic Director - Wednesday September 24Arizona State Senior Associate Athletic Direct Rocky Harris expects a sellout when the Sun Devils fa
- Chris Foster - Los Angeles Times - Wednesday September 24Los Angeles Times reporter Chris Foster gives the UCLA perspective on Thursday night's game.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Wednesday September 24AZCentral sports reporter Doug Haller previews Arizona State's matchup with UCLA.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday September 24Dan discusses the newly found connection between the Arizona Cardinals and the Arizona State Sun Dev
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Wednesday September 24Coach Graham discusses the vast array of storylines heading into Thursday's showdown against UCLA.