Departures drop Wildcats in way-too-soon rankings
Their departures, along with a few recent commitments elsewhere, have dropped the 'Cats to 17th in Katz's newest rankings.
The Wildcats had to deal with a number of issues this season, and that has carried over into the offseason as well. For the second straight year, UA has lost its point guard to transfer, with Josiah Turner announcing his intentions this week. But fans in Tucson shouldn't panic. Arizona can lean heavily on returnees like Solomon Hill, Nick Johnson and a healthy Kevin Parrom, but this will be a team heavy on newcomers. The recruiting class is currently ranked No. 2 nationally by ESPN, with Kaleb Tarczewski, Grant Jerrett, Brandon Ashley and Gabe York heading to the desert. This team will be young in November, but should make its mark in March.
It makes sense.
As of now, the Wildcats are entering the season with a huge question mark at the point guard position, with one of Jordin Mayes, Nick Johnson or freshman Gabe York to man the spot. Unfortunately for Arizona, none of the three are what would be considered a "true point guard," as they are more scorers and combo-guard types.
However, Sean Miller now has one open scholarship to use on someone, and chances are he will look to land a point guard over the next few weeks.
If he can do that, things could very well be just fine in Wildcat land. If not, well, it could be an interesting year down in the Old Pueblo.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/29 - Friday March 29The season has come to an end in the most excruciating of ways. Adam and Jarrett break down the loss
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/26 - Tuesday March 26The Wildcats are in the Sweet 16 for the second time in four years. Should we be impressed? Are we w
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/19 - Tuesday March 19Tournaments for everyone! Adam and Jarrett talk about the Pac-12 Tournament result and then Arizona'
- Mike DeCourcy, Sporting News CBB Insider - Monday March 18Doug and Wolf ask DeCourcy what he thinks about this year's NCAA Tournament bracket.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/12 - Tuesday March 12A nice win over Arizona State is followed by the Pac-12 Tournament. How do the Wildcats look? Adam a