Irony turns out to be helpful for Arizona Wildcats
The Arizona Wildcats, in dire need of a point guard for the 2012-13 season, were able to find one in Xavier transfer Mark Lyons, who is graduating this summer and will be eligible to play this upcoming season.
"Very seldom do you leave a player as a college coach and then have a chance to coach him again," Arizona coach Sean Miller said at a press conference Tuesday.
Miller said he is excited to add an experienced player who has played for good teams, as Lyons knows already knows the system and brings leadership qualities the team lacked last season.
"He's among the most competitive kids that I've been around and I look forward to him sharing that senior mantle with Kevin Parrom and Solomon Hill," Miller said. "Three players who have a lot at stake, who are hungry, who have won and are eager to win again."
Miller said Lyons has not been promised a starting role for the team, and he's not concerned with any off-court issues the player may have.
Lyons, you may recall, was one of the players suspended for having a role in the big Xavier/Cincinnati brawl earlier in the season.
"I've known Mark for six years," Miller said. "I know off the court he's got his college degree, I know off the court that he's certainly a very, very great competitor.
"And he's a winner."
Lyons comes to Arizona with 1,194 career points, and averaged 15.1 per game this past season, and brings with him expectations for a team that failed to meet them last season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/29 - Friday March 29The season has come to an end in the most excruciating of ways. Adam and Jarrett break down the loss
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/26 - Tuesday March 26The Wildcats are in the Sweet 16 for the second time in four years. Should we be impressed? Are we w
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/19 - Tuesday March 19Tournaments for everyone! Adam and Jarrett talk about the Pac-12 Tournament result and then Arizona'
- Mike DeCourcy, Sporting News CBB Insider - Monday March 18Doug and Wolf ask DeCourcy what he thinks about this year's NCAA Tournament bracket.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/12 - Tuesday March 12A nice win over Arizona State is followed by the Pac-12 Tournament. How do the Wildcats look? Adam a