Updated Dec 16, 2012 - 11:24 am
ESPN analyst: Arizona 'must be taken seriously' as title contender
But basketball is a game of bounces, as the Wildcats so convincingly proved over the final 61 seconds of play. UA closed the game on a 7-0 run, thanks to three forced turnovers, a missed free throw by Gators guard Kenny Boynton (a 90-percent shooter from the charity stripe this season) and a nifty game-winning bucket with seven ticks remaining by transfer Mark Lyons.
The Wildcats shocked the Gators 65-64 at the McKale Center -- in the first matchup of top 10 teams in Tucson since 2004 -- to remain unbeaten, and in doing so received some well-deserved national attention.
While ESPN analyst Andy Katz named Butler his team of the week, after the Bulldogs upset No. 1 Indiana in overtime Saturday afternoon, he still had plenty of nice things to say about UA.
The Wildcats had to claw back to beat previously undefeated Florida in the final seven seconds Saturday night, and the win caps off a tremendous week for the Wildcats after they won a week ago at Clemson. Arizona is the clear favorite in the Pac-12 and now must be taken seriously as a national title contender.
There are plenty of flaws with this squad, but one of the most pressing is youth inside. That will improve over time. Arizona showed plenty of grit in its win over Florida. The Wildcats head to Hawaii for the Diamond Head Classic, and wins there over San Diego State, Ole Miss or Miami would continue to prove this team's growth.
According to ESPN Stats & Information, Saturday's win was the first by a Pac-12 team over a non-conference opponent ranked in the top 5, since Arizona beat No. 4 Gonzaga back in December 2008.
UA is off to its best start (8-0) since Lute Olsen's squad began the 1998-99 season with eight straight victories.
- Arizona's Nick Johnson a finalist for Wooden Award
- Johnson's big night leads Arizona to road win over Oregon State: By the Numbers
- Former Arizona Wildcats coach Russ Pennell hired by Central Arkansas
- Arizona powers past Stanford, clinches Pac-12 outright: By the numbers
- With win over Stanford, Arizona clinches Pac-12 title outright
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Wednesday March 5The latest rule change to college football would fundamentally change the game.
- Doug Gottlieb, CBS Sports college basketball analyst - Thursday February 27Doug Gottlieb thinks Jahii Carson and Aaron Gordon should both stay in school for one more season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Wednesday February 26Adam and Jarrett talk about the Utah/Colorado sweep and the week ahead.
- What's on your mind? - Thursday February 20Vince tells us what is going through his head this week in and out of the sports world.