Sean Miller wonders why Arizona can't get award recognition
The Wildcats are 14-0 and are ranked in the top five in the nation. But apparently that's not enough.
During Tuesday's Pac-12 coaches teleconference, Arizona head coach Sean Miller asked Dave Hirsch, the conference's VP of communications, why the 'Cats aren't getting any love when it comes to the weekly individual awards.
"Hey Dave, what do we gotta do to get one of our players the Player of the Week (award), is there something that we're missing," Miller asked. "I've seen our guys play, there are great players and teams, I don't want to take anything away from it, but don't you think it's somewhat remarkable that a team can be 14-0 and number three in the nation right now. Maybe we won't win another game, but not one of our players played well enough to win a Player of the Week award?"
Hirsch explained that the awards for all sports were voted on by a panel of employees at the Pac-12 offices each Monday morning. As Hirsch continued his explanation, Miller interjected.
"Who's on the panel? Is there any way that I can figure out who's making those decisions," he asked. "I have a hard time believing it. I look at our tournament in Honolulu and Solomon Hill is the MVP, just give it to him one time, right?"
Hill, a senior All-Pac-12 player last season, averaged 12 points and five rebounds per game and shot 42% from the field in Arizona's tournament victory at the Diamond Head Classic in Honolulu.
The following Monday, UCLA freshman Shabazz Muhammad was named the conference Player of the Week, after scoring 27 points and hitting the go-ahead three-pointer with a minute left in overtime during the Bruins' upset win of then-7th-ranked Missouri on December 28.
Hirsch joked that maybe Arizona would be able to boast the Player of the Year at the end of the season if their team success continues.
"You can't become the Player of the Year if you don't win one player of the week, right," Miller retorted.
In the interest of full disclosure, Hirsch is a former Arizona baseball player and graduated from the school in 1986, so this may have been nothing more than one Wildcat ribbing another.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/29 - Friday March 29The season has come to an end in the most excruciating of ways. Adam and Jarrett break down the loss
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/26 - Tuesday March 26The Wildcats are in the Sweet 16 for the second time in four years. Should we be impressed? Are we w
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/19 - Tuesday March 19Tournaments for everyone! Adam and Jarrett talk about the Pac-12 Tournament result and then Arizona'
- Mike DeCourcy, Sporting News CBB Insider - Monday March 18Doug and Wolf ask DeCourcy what he thinks about this year's NCAA Tournament bracket.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/12 - Tuesday March 12A nice win over Arizona State is followed by the Pac-12 Tournament. How do the Wildcats look? Adam a