Cat Tracks: Wildcats defense shines in rout of USC
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a basketball game. So, we give you 'Cat Tracks', providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from Arizona's January 26 win against USC. Arizona 74, USC 50.
The Wildcats rebounded from a tough loss to UCLA in large part to a strong defensive performance.
Arizona looked like a team in control from the start, holding a lead as big as 34 points in the second half.
Nick Johnson led the scoring charge for the Wildcats, netting 14 points on the night. Solomon Hill added 13 points, five boards and four assists.
The 'Cats improved to 17-2 overall this season and 5-2 in Pac-12 play. Arizona finds itself in a three-way tie for second place in the loss column with ASU and UCLA.
Despite Johnson's team-high 14 points, he committed four turnovers against USC. He has averaged only 1.7 turnovers per game this season.
• Arizona held USC to 28.1 percent shooting, which was the lowest they've held any opponent to this year. USC's 50 points was also a season-low for the Trojans.
• USC committed 11 turnovers in the first half and were outrebounded by Arizona by a 22-17 margin.
• The Wildcats came into their game against the Trojans averaging 45.7 percent shooting from the field for the season. They shot 41 percent on Saturday night and 33.3 percent from three-point range.
Coming Up Next:
Arizona will head to Washington on Thursday, January 31 to face the Huskies. The game is scheduled to tip-off at 7:00 p.m. MST.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- No. 2 Arizona Wildcats roll Texas Tech to remain unbeaten
- Arizona's Nick Johnson named Pac-12 Player of the Week
- Arizona Wildcats move up to No. 2 in latest AP Poll
- No. 4 Arizona Wildcats top No. 6 Duke for NIT Preseason Tip-Off title
- No. 4 Wildcats erase 18-point deficit, advance to NIT championship
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 11/29 - Friday November 29Adam and Jarrett talk UA football and the Territorial Cup.
- Greg Byrne, Arizona athletic director - Wednesday November 27Getting ready for the Territorial Cup with Greg Byrne
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Tuesday November 26Coach Rodriguez discusses the Oregon victory and the Territorial Cup with the guys.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Color Analyst - Monday November 25The Sun Devils and Wildcats meet again this weekend for the Territorial Cup.
- Ed Cunningham, ESPN college football analyst - Friday November 22Ed Cunningham gives us his opinion on the big games surrounding ASU and Arizona.