Cat Tracks: Wildcats beat Cougars, tie for Pac-12 lead
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a basketball game. So, we give you 'Cat Tracks', providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from Arizona's February 2 win against Washington State. Arizona 79, Washington State 65.
Mark Lyons scored a team-high 20 points and Solomon Hill added 18 (all in the first half) as the Wildcats completed the first sweep of the Washington schools on the road since the 2005-2006 campaign.
Hill went 6-for-10 from three-point range and had a career-high six three's.
The 'Cats finished the first half of Pac-12 play with a 7-2 record, tying Oregon for first place in the conference. Arizona is now 19-2 overall this season.
Arizona shot 47.4 percent from the field and was 14-for-16 from the free throw line. For the season, the Wildcats have shot 44.9 percent from the field.
Besides Hill's impressive shooting performance in the first half, the Wildcats struggled from downtown in the second frame. Arizona went just 2 of 12 from three-point range in the half.
Arizona's foul troubles kept Washington State alive in the second half. Without Kevin Parrom, who was ejected in the first half after committing a flagrant two foul, the 'Cats were short on the bench. Brandon Ashley fouled out while Lyons and Kaleb Tarczewski had four fouls a piece.
• This was Arizona's fifth straight win over Washington State.
• The Wildcats committed just nine turnovers against WSU. They have averaged 14 per game this season.
• Arizona outrebounded Washington State 28 to 27.
Coming Up Next:
The Wildcats will next host Stanford on Wednesday, February 6. The game is scheduled to tip-off at 7:00 p.m. MST.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Oregon drops No. 3 Arizona Wildcats: By the numbers
- Arizona's Nick Johnson a finalist for Wooden Award
- Johnson's big night leads Arizona to road win over Oregon State: By the Numbers
- Former Arizona Wildcats coach Russ Pennell hired by Central Arkansas
- Arizona powers past Stanford, clinches Pac-12 outright: By the numbers
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Wednesday March 5The latest rule change to college football would fundamentally change the game.
- Doug Gottlieb, CBS Sports college basketball analyst - Thursday February 27Doug Gottlieb thinks Jahii Carson and Aaron Gordon should both stay in school for one more season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Wednesday February 26Adam and Jarrett talk about the Utah/Colorado sweep and the week ahead.
- What's on your mind? - Thursday February 20Vince tells us what is going through his head this week in and out of the sports world.