Cat Tracks: Wildcats beat Cougars, tie for Pac-12 lead
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a basketball game. So, we give you 'Cat Tracks', providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from Arizona's February 2 win against Washington State. Arizona 79, Washington State 65.
Mark Lyons scored a team-high 20 points and Solomon Hill added 18 (all in the first half) as the Wildcats completed the first sweep of the Washington schools on the road since the 2005-2006 campaign.
Hill went 6-for-10 from three-point range and had a career-high six three's.
The 'Cats finished the first half of Pac-12 play with a 7-2 record, tying Oregon for first place in the conference. Arizona is now 19-2 overall this season.
Arizona shot 47.4 percent from the field and was 14-for-16 from the free throw line. For the season, the Wildcats have shot 44.9 percent from the field.
Besides Hill's impressive shooting performance in the first half, the Wildcats struggled from downtown in the second frame. Arizona went just 2 of 12 from three-point range in the half.
Arizona's foul troubles kept Washington State alive in the second half. Without Kevin Parrom, who was ejected in the first half after committing a flagrant two foul, the 'Cats were short on the bench. Brandon Ashley fouled out while Lyons and Kaleb Tarczewski had four fouls a piece.
• This was Arizona's fifth straight win over Washington State.
• The Wildcats committed just nine turnovers against WSU. They have averaged 14 per game this season.
• Arizona outrebounded Washington State 28 to 27.
Coming Up Next:
The Wildcats will next host Stanford on Wednesday, February 6. The game is scheduled to tip-off at 7:00 p.m. MST.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/29 - Friday March 29The season has come to an end in the most excruciating of ways. Adam and Jarrett break down the loss
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/26 - Tuesday March 26The Wildcats are in the Sweet 16 for the second time in four years. Should we be impressed? Are we w
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/19 - Tuesday March 19Tournaments for everyone! Adam and Jarrett talk about the Pac-12 Tournament result and then Arizona'
- Mike DeCourcy, Sporting News CBB Insider - Monday March 18Doug and Wolf ask DeCourcy what he thinks about this year's NCAA Tournament bracket.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/12 - Tuesday March 12A nice win over Arizona State is followed by the Pac-12 Tournament. How do the Wildcats look? Adam a