Cat Tracks: No. 7 Wildcats upset by California at McKale Center
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a basketball game. So, we give you 'Cat Tracks', providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from Arizona's February 10 loss to Cal. California 77 Arizona 69.
Mark Lyons had a team-high 16 points and Solomon Hill added 13, including 11 in the first half. Brandon Ashley scored 12 points and added 10 rebounds.
The Wildcats held the lead at the half due in large part to a strong defensive effort that resulted in eight Cal turnovers.
Arizona saw its four-game win streak come to an end in a stunning loss to Cal.
The Wildcats missed nine of their first 10 shots to open the second half and struggled to adapt to Cal's change to zone defense. The Bears used that momentum to put together a 17-2 run against the lackluster Wildcats.
Sean Miller's squad shot just 39.3 percent from the field and struggled with their free throw shooting. Arizona made just 16 of 24 shots from the line. For the season, the Wildcats had shot 45.1 percent from the field before Sunday's contest.
• The Wildcats became the sixth top-10 team to lose this week.
• Arizona suffered its third Pac-12 loss at the hands of the Bears and fell to 8-3 in conference play overall. Arizona is now 20-3 on the season.
• The Bears shot 58.8 percent from the field, which was the largest percentage the Wildcats have allowed this year.
Coming Up Next:
The Wildcats will face Colorado on Thursday, February 14. The game is scheduled to tip-off at 8:00 p.m. MST.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/29 - Friday March 29The season has come to an end in the most excruciating of ways. Adam and Jarrett break down the loss
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/26 - Tuesday March 26The Wildcats are in the Sweet 16 for the second time in four years. Should we be impressed? Are we w
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/19 - Tuesday March 19Tournaments for everyone! Adam and Jarrett talk about the Pac-12 Tournament result and then Arizona'
- Mike DeCourcy, Sporting News CBB Insider - Monday March 18Doug and Wolf ask DeCourcy what he thinks about this year's NCAA Tournament bracket.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/12 - Tuesday March 12A nice win over Arizona State is followed by the Pac-12 Tournament. How do the Wildcats look? Adam a