Updated Feb 27, 2013 - 9:56 am
Wildcats will try to sort out QB position during camp
Whether it was Willie Tuitama, Nick Foles or Matt Scott under center, the Cats generally had little trouble generating yards and points via the air.
However, none of those three will be on the roster next season, as they've graduated and gone to either wait tables or play in the NFL.
The departure of Scott, who threw for 3,620 yards and 27 touchdowns last season to go along with 506 rushing yards and six scores, leaves a considerable hole for second-year coach Rich Rodriguez to fill as spring practices get underway.
"It's not so much about finding a starter, it's about finding guys we can win with," he told the media Tuesday. "We hope to find two or three at every position. I don't know if we're there yet, it may take us a couple years recruiting and development to get to that point."
As of now, Rodriguez has a few options to choose from, though only one has ever taken a snap for the team. Senior B.J. Denker started one game for the Wildcats last season and appeared in four others, and in all completed 25 of 37 passes for 259 yards and three touchdowns. He was intercepted once and ran for 74 yards and a score.
After him, though, it's an unproven mix of passers. Redshirt freshman Javelle Allen, USC transfer Jesse Scroggins, Louisiana Tech transfer Nick Isham and true freshman Anu Solomon all figure to have a chance, though Scroggins is recovering from foot surgery and Solomon is will not be able to join the team until he finishes up his senior year at Las Vegas Bishop Gorman High School.
"At quarterback, we're looking for two or three guys we can win with," Rodriguez added. "And I don't know if we have that. That's a question. I don't know if we'll have that answer after spring."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Former UA Wildcat Nick Johnson ‘happy' to land with Houston Rockets
- Former Wildcat Aaron Gordon signs endorsement deal with Nike
- Arizona's Sean Miller among the best recruiters in the country
- Former Wildcat Aaron Gordon records monster block in NBA Summer League debut
- Former Wildcat Johnson impresses in Summer League debut, finishes vicious dunk
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.