Cat Tracks: UA blows late lead to UCLA, falls in Pac-12 tournament semifinals
In two earlier losses to UCLA this season, the Wildcats struggled to start halves. Friday, UA made sure to not let history repeat itself three times in one year. Sean Miller's squad took an early 10-8 advantage and held the lead for the final 13:52 of the first half.
After halftime, the Wildcats' extended their four-point lead to 10, an advantage that held until the final 10 minutes of play.
Brandon Ashley was excellent off the bench, scoring a team-high 15 points on 7-of-8 shooting.
UA may have started fast, but it closed rather poorly.
Nick Johnson (3-of-12 shooting) struggled to contain Adams down the stretch and allowed the freshman to have his way on the perimeter and in the paint. By himself, Adams made more foul shots (11) than the entire UA team attempted (9). He also scored 13 straight during one second-half stretch.
While Adams and Shabazz Muhammad starred in winning time for UCLA, it was Kyle Anderson who ultimately did in UA. Following a missed three-point attempt by Adams, Anderson was uncovered under the basket and easily put back the miss for the game-winning bucket with 22.1 seconds to go.
Stat of the Game:
UA's seniors (Solomon Hill, Mark Lyons and Kevin Parrom) combined for just 25 points, while UCLA's freshmen (Adams, Anderson and Muhammad) combined for 45 points.
• UA has now lost three of its last five games heading into the NCAA tournament, making it the team's worst five-game stretch of the season.
• Before Friday's loss, ESPN.com's bracketologist Joe Lunardi had Arizona as a No. 4 seed. Heading into Selection Sunday, the Wildcats will most likely be a No. 4 or No. 5 seed.
• UCLA won Friday despite a dreadful shooting performance from three-point range. The Bruins were 1-of-12 from downtown.
The Wildcats will await their NCAA tournament fate on Sunday. The 68-team bracket will be unveiled at 3 p.m. MST on CBS.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/29 - Friday March 29The season has come to an end in the most excruciating of ways. Adam and Jarrett break down the loss
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/26 - Tuesday March 26The Wildcats are in the Sweet 16 for the second time in four years. Should we be impressed? Are we w
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/19 - Tuesday March 19Tournaments for everyone! Adam and Jarrett talk about the Pac-12 Tournament result and then Arizona'
- Mike DeCourcy, Sporting News CBB Insider - Monday March 18Doug and Wolf ask DeCourcy what he thinks about this year's NCAA Tournament bracket.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/12 - Tuesday March 12A nice win over Arizona State is followed by the Pac-12 Tournament. How do the Wildcats look? Adam a