Updated May 13, 2013 - 11:09 am
Arizona Wildcats land Kansas transfer Zach Peters
According to the Kansas City Star, Peters chose Arizona over Texas and Oklahoma.
Peters will arrive in Arizona with a history of concussions, which cost him the majority of his freshman season at Kansas. He appeared in exhibition games for the Jayhawks during their European tour last summer, where he averaged 5.0 points and 6.3 rebounds.
Peters was highly regarded early in his high school career, but injuries dropped him in the rankings before he went to college.
And according to the Arizona Daily Star, Peters' father says his son's health issues are behind him.
Tim Peters said his son left Kansas at the end of the fall semester because he had trouble focusing and couldn't get cleared to play, but said that the symptoms subsided after Zach returned home to Texas.
"He told us he couldn't play in a fog and just could not focus," Tim Peters said. "We went to a concussion specialist in January, shut him down and ran extensive tests. They did IQ tests, memory tests, short-term memory, long-term memory and fortunately for Zach, he was in the 78 to 80 percentile for a college freshmen. So once he shut down, everything went exactly the way it's supposed to."
Whether or not Peters will be eligible to play this upcoming season remains to be seen. Peters will reportedly seek a waiver that would allow him to, but NCAA transfer rules may force him to sit out one season.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Former UA Wildcat Nick Johnson ‘happy' to land with Houston Rockets
- Former Wildcat Aaron Gordon signs endorsement deal with Nike
- Arizona's Sean Miller among the best recruiters in the country
- Former Wildcat Aaron Gordon records monster block in NBA Summer League debut
- Former Wildcat Johnson impresses in Summer League debut, finishes vicious dunk
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.