Updated Jun 10, 2013 - 2:38 pm
Arizona's T.J. McConnell ranked as country's ninth-best point guard
A transfer from Duquesne, McConnell sat out last season but is set to take over at point guard for the Wildcats, and folks in the Old Pueblo are pretty excited.
A "true" point guard, McConnell averaged 11.4 points and 5.5 assists per game in 2011-12, all while shooting nearly 51 percent from the field and 43 percent from three-point range.
Needless to say, the Wildcats figure to get a boost by inserting him into the lineup. After all, according to Sporting News' Mike DeCourcy, McConnell is the ninth-best point guard in the country.
Last season's Wildcats had a terrific player at point guard, Mark Lyons, but not a terrific point guard. McConnell fits the mold better, and he should elevate the wealth of talent that will surround him. McConnell was averaging 5.5 assists when he last played at Duquesne. What'll he manage when his teammates include perhaps four future NBA players?
Head coach Sean Miller has assembled what appears to be a very talented team in Tucson, and the hope is McConnell will be just the guy to lead it.
McConnell has two years of eligibility remaining.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Former UA Wildcat Nick Johnson ‘happy' to land with Houston Rockets
- Former Wildcat Aaron Gordon signs endorsement deal with Nike
- Arizona's Sean Miller among the best recruiters in the country
- Former Wildcat Aaron Gordon records monster block in NBA Summer League debut
- Former Wildcat Johnson impresses in Summer League debut, finishes vicious dunk
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.