Updated Sep 26, 2013 - 5:36 pm
Arizona Wildcats' Zach Peters cleared to play this season
Peters, who transferred from Kansas, left the Jayhawks following the fall semester due to concussion issues. It was hoped the 6-foot-10 forward with three-point range would receive a medical hardship waiver and not be forced to sit out this season.
"Today's news from the NCAA is very exciting for Zach and his family, as well as our basketball program," Arizona head coach Sean Miller said in a press release. "There was a lot of effort and cooperation that went into this waiver process. We'd like to thank the NCAA, the University of Kansas and many members of the Arizona Athletics family for their tireless efforts to make this a reality.
"To this point, Zach has participated with us and we're still in the process of him returning to full competition and contact. Zach has made tremendous progress in his time at Arizona, and we're optimistic that with continued improvement, that time will come in the near future."
Peters was a four-time all-state selection at Prestonwood Christian Academy, where he led the school to two state titles and a pair of runner-up finishes.
"I've tried to remain patient throughout this process, and today's news is definitely a relief," Peters said in the release. "I've been making strides physically with the goal of getting back to full competition, and, right now, it's about honoring that process. I'm excited to keep improving and it's great to be able to put my focus on the season ahead."
According to Miller, Peters will have four years of eligibility.
- Arizona Wildcats forward Aaron Gordon heading for NBA Draft
- Arizona Wildcats center Kaleb Tarczewski to stay for junior year
- Arizona Wildcats forward Rondae Hollis-Jefferson to return for Sophomore season
- Arizona Wildcats guard Nick Johnson to enter NBA Draft
- Arizona's Nick Johnson 'not sure' about future
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.
- Paul Bessire, predictionmachine.com - Wednesday March 26Paul Bessire reacts to the first week of the NCAA Tournament.